Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 134

Packard Don, happy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: '52 Imperial Parade Phaetons
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

MrPushbutton wrote:
Here is film of it in action, on the streets of Detroit for the world premiere of "Anatomy of a murder" shot in Michigan's upper peninsula.

https://archive.org/details/Anatomyo1959

Ahhh. Great video footage. Does my heart good to see the old United Artists theater back in her prime. This was a beautiful, beautiful theater inside. Last time I saw the theater, she was in terrible shape, boarded up, abandoned and unloved. Sad.

And nobody today seems to know it but the same building where the UA theater (shown here on Bagley Avenue) was located was actually the national headquarters of the AAA Automobile Club. I once ran computers for them in this very building which was a wonderful place to work.

The whole area was peppered with classy hotels, restaurants, theaters and night clubs. All gone now.

Directly across the street from the AAA National Headquarters building was the headquarters of the AAA of Michigan. Years later AAA pulled the plug and moved everything to Dearborn.

Just up the street was the fabulous Michigan Theater where Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis, Jr. once performed... and where Disney's Peter Pan debuted. Incredibly, that beautiful theater was gutted, walls knocked out and turned into a parking lot. Heartbreaking to see.

Should I mention this was all just steps from where Henry Ford once tinkered with cars made out of bicycle parts?

Thanks for the time machine trip back to the glory days...

Posted on: 2018/8/7 13:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Quote:
Ahhh. Great video footage. Does my heart good to see the old United Artists theater back in her prime. This was a beautiful, beautiful theater inside. Last time I saw the theater, she was in terrible shape, boarded up, abandoned and unloved. Sad. And nobody today seems to know it but the same building where the UA theater (shown here on Bagley Avenue) was located was actually the national headquarters of the AAA Automobile Club. I once ran computers for them in this very building which was a wonderful place to work. The whole area was peppered with classy hotels, restaurants, theaters and night clubs. All gone now. Directly across the street from the AAA National Headquarters building was the headquarters of the AAA of Michigan. Years later AAA pulled the plug and moved everything to Dearborn. Just up the street was the fabulous Michigan Theater where Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis, Jr. once performed... and where Disney's Peter Pan debuted. Incredibly, that beautiful theater was gutted, walls knocked out and turned into a parking lot. Heartbreaking to see. Should I mention this was all just steps from where Henry Ford once tinkered with cars made out of bicycle parts? Thanks for the time machine trip back to the glory days...

Leedy, you know about me and theatres, especially Detroit theatres, right?
I was in the United Artists in January of 1975, right before AAA auctioned off the contents. Aside from the whitewash paint job and the gold Cinemascope screen "surround" she was marvelously intact, every original piece of furniture and statuary was there. A month later, all gone. Now the Ilitches own it, and are talking conversion to apartments, since all downtown real estate is hot right now. Not sure how apartments in the center of the auditorium portion will have a window, or a view.
The Michigan was the first movie going experience I can remember, 1964, when my aunt took me to see "Snow White" in re-release. I was in and out of the Michigan through the 70s, and in March of 1977 was part of a crew hired to remove the projectors, right before the carnage that resulted in the parking garage began. Saw it in its last moments as it was built. Henry Ford's home, at the time he built his Quadracycle, and backyard shop were on the lot that the Michigan theatre has occupied since 1926.
The Statler Hotel, seen in the film was demolished in a hurry for the 2006 Super Bowl, that was nothing more than a jobs bill for demo companies. Now an apartment building is going up on that site.
Downtown looks nothing like it did the last time you were here, Dan Gilbert has renovated or is in the process of renovating every shuttered teens-20s office building. A huge skyscraper is going up on the JL Hudson's site, work started last month.

Posted on: 2018/8/8 13:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

MrPushbutton wrote:
Quote:
Ahhh. Great video footage. Does my heart good to see the old United Artists theater back in her prime. This was a beautiful, beautiful theater inside. Last time I saw the theater, she was in terrible shape, boarded up, abandoned and unloved. Sad. And nobody today seems to know it but the same building where the UA theater (shown here on Bagley Avenue) was located was actually the national headquarters of the AAA Automobile Club. I once ran computers for them in this very building which was a wonderful place to work. The whole area was peppered with classy hotels, restaurants, theaters and night clubs. All gone now. Directly across the street from the AAA National Headquarters building was the headquarters of the AAA of Michigan. Years later AAA pulled the plug and moved everything to Dearborn. Just up the street was the fabulous Michigan Theater where Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis, Jr. once performed... and where Disney's Peter Pan debuted. Incredibly, that beautiful theater was gutted, walls knocked out and turned into a parking lot. Heartbreaking to see. Should I mention this was all just steps from where Henry Ford once tinkered with cars made out of bicycle parts? Thanks for the time machine trip back to the glory days...

Leedy, you know about me and theatres, especially Detroit theatres, right?
I was in the United Artists in January of 1975, right before AAA auctioned off the contents. Aside from the whitewash paint job and the gold Cinemascope screen "surround" she was marvelously intact, every original piece of furniture and statuary was there. A month later, all gone. Now the Ilitches own it, and are talking conversion to apartments, since all downtown real estate is hot right now. Not sure how apartments in the center of the auditorium portion will have a window, or a view.
The Michigan was the first movie going experience I can remember, 1964, when my aunt took me to see "Snow White" in re-release. I was in and out of the Michigan through the 70s, and in March of 1977 was part of a crew hired to remove the projectors, right before the carnage that resulted in the parking garage began. Saw it in its last moments as it was built. Henry Ford's home, at the time he built his Quadracycle, and backyard shop were on the lot that the Michigan theatre has occupied since 1926.
The Statler Hotel, seen in the film was demolished in a hurry for the 2006 Super Bowl, that was nothing more than a jobs bill for demo companies. Now an apartment building is going up on that site.
Downtown looks nothing like it did the last time you were here, Dan Gilbert has renovated or is in the process of renovating every shuttered teens-20s office building. A huge skyscraper is going up on the JL Hudson's site, work started last month.

Hello Mr. Pushbutton...

Nope. I have zero knowledge of your connection to theaters. This is probably the wrong place, but wow... we could do a whole lotta talking about Detroit area theaters.

I knew so many of them. Including the biggies like the Fox (where I performed a few times)... and the Music Hall (home of the fabulous Cinerama films)... or the Summit (2nd home of Cinerama films where I had front-row seats at the debut of "Grand Prix" and where I first saw "2001 A Space Odessey")...and the Grand Circus (where I saw the debut of "Forbidden Planet" with Robby, the Robot)... or the Adams (where I saw "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" for a solid DAY) or the Michigan (where I saw big stars singing to an almost empty house and where I saw the debut of Peter Pan)... or the Mercury... or the Rivola.... or the Ramona... or the Riviera... or the Cinderella... or the Delthe... or the Granada (probably at least part of the inspiration for the Dodge Granada concept car)... or the Rialto...or the University... or a lot of others. And I can't forget The Latin Quarter-which was not a movie house but a few movies were shown there. It was a full-on Las Vegas style supper theater ... where I performed and sadly, a very high-echelon place that almost no one today remembers. Somewhere I have a photo of a Packard Twelve sitting in front of it way, way back when.

I probably should also mention that I was one of the people who fought (successfully) back in the late 60s/early 70s to save Detroit's Orchestra Hall back when they wanted to tear it down and turn the land into a hamburger restaurant!!!! OMG!!!!

I have indeed toured downtown Detroit very recently and have seen a lot of the construction... and the destruction. And speaking of Downtown real estate, you probably know that the descendent company of Creative Industries is now located in Downtown Detroit.

Oh... and that's "Leeedy" with 3 e's. Thanks for the memories and inside info on the theaters. Should I add that my family's company via my uncle serviced most the old organs in old Detroit theaters?

Posted on: 2018/8/8 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
For those not familiar with downtown Detroit, here is a photo of the Michigan Theater after being converted into a parking deck.

This is how we roll in Detroit with historic buildings.

Attach file:

jpg  (68.30 KB)
436_5b6c6f4e95919.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (47.07 KB)
436_5b6c6f8e94ce9.jpg 287X459 px

Posted on: 2018/8/9 11:45
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

RogerDetroit wrote:
For those not familiar with downtown Detroit, here is a photo of the Michigan Theater after being converted into a parking deck.

This is how we roll in Detroit with historic buildings.

This photo proves it. Absolutely nothing is sacred anymore, huh? So this is what we've come to?

As an old Detroiter who once sat in this grand theater when it was indeed a grand theater, I can only say that I am sickened by what I see here. I'm sure someone has taken great pride in their "work" in creating this... canker sore.

If I may, the words of a Packard historian come to mind upon viewing this horror. The words went something like... "...it was dead, but they didn't even want to give it a decent burial."

How sad can sad ever possibly be upon viewing this horrific nightmare? Remember that Joni Mitchell song? Pave paradise... put up a parking lot...

Posted on: 2018/8/10 0:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Leeedy - Is this the theater you were talking about? This was taken during a 1953 Packard sales meeting.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.97 KB)
1445_5b6e34a853ae1.jpg 686X541 px

Posted on: 2018/8/10 19:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

ECAnthony wrote:
Leeedy - Is this the theater you were talking about? This was taken during a 1953 Packard sales meeting.

Ohhhh yes! That's the beautiful United Artists theater in its glory years. The building it is in was the National Headquarters building for AAA Automobile Club where I used to work. And these Packard guys are boarding what look like GMC Greyhound charter busses on Bagley Avenue. This was one of the streets of dreams in downtown Detroit when Packard was also in its heyday.

That UA marquee illuminated beautifully at night and had a lot of brushed stainless steel on it. Note the Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell reference ("Some Like It Hot"?). The open space between the buildings (to the right of the UA Theater in the photo) was a parking lot where I sometimes parked my new GTO convertible when I was working here for AAA. Note at least three of the Packard guys boarding the bus are wearing "spectator shoes." Snappy dressers, they.

Building directly behind the first charter bus was a big hotel (don't recall the name) where many of the rooms were occupied by full-time residents. Directly behind our viewing angle (back over our shoulders) here was an even bigger and very deluxe hotel that eventually became the Detroit home to famous Trader Vic's Restaurant-as in Beverly Hills (the marquee was done up in fake bamboo). Yessss, there was a time in Detroit...

Posted on: 2018/8/11 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Note the Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell reference ("Some Like It Hot"?).

The movie that starred Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe was "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," which was released in 1953. Jane Russell was not in "Some Like It Hot," and that film was released in 1959.

Posted on: 2018/8/11 22:17
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Don Shields wrote:
Note the Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell reference ("Some Like It Hot"?).

The movie that starred Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe was "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," which was released in 1953. Jane Russell was not in "Some Like It Hot," and that film was released in 1959.

Yes... the very reason why I put a question mark after the title... was not sure of the movie name. But thanks for the info. Remember GPB now. Probably should have looked it up. I usually enter this stuff right off the top of my head and as the years go by, there's a lot to remember! Thanks again.

Posted on: 2018/8/12 9:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
You're welcome, Leeedy. Having great respect for the breadth and depth of your knowledge and witnessing how helpful you are to us Packard people, I'm happy to be able to share something, even something this trivial, in the interest of the accuracy your informed opinion is known for.

Posted on: 2018/8/12 22:27
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved