Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Request for help on TL Ride on '56 Executive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I've been missing for some time, but I'm back soliciting for someone to save my '56 Executive by repairing the Torsion Leveling system. I cannot see any longer and don't drive now, neither can I work on cars.
The TL has been inoperative for some time and the car is stuck where it is, way up in the rear. I checked out the car when I could still see and found some things:

The compensator gear box is cracked.

The cross links are so close to the frame as to make the drag links imposible to reach.

I tried to run the TL motor manually by applying 12 volts directly to the down connection of the motor. It will not move anymore and has activated the safety switches.

I removed the 3-way TL switch ( the wires are still attached.so the switch is no longer grounded). I think this is the reason that I no longer have brake lights.

I would be willing to deliver the car to someone who could help me (within reason, I live in Colorado Springs, because I need to save up some money to do this).

Please excuse any errors in this post as my sight is limited,

Bob Freeman (bhappy)
b.happy@centurylink.net

Posted on: 2018/8/5 11:40
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Request for help on TL Ride on '56 Executive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The limit switches do not hinder the running of the motor directly, so it should run when you apply power to the down terminal. You used a stout wire and a good power source? There is a chance the gear train is jammed but it may be that the brushes have lost contact from sitting. Remove the cover band and pivot the brushes away from the commutator and let them snap back under their spring loading. Usually does the trick. If the motor still doesn't run, take it off and find out why. While it is off, insert a a big screwdriver or a flat chisel into the gear drive and give it a twist to make sure it is not jammed tight.

Further instructions are not all that helpful until these points are covered.

Posted on: 2018/8/6 6:54
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved