Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Are 57 and 58 Packards really Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
They were produced by the Studebaker-Packard Corp.Are they legitimate Packards? I can remember when some of us,and I will not mention Owen Dyneto, did not consider 55 and 56 "Packards" to be real Packards.Would like to get some thoughts.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 20:14
 Top  Print 

Re: Are 57 and 58 Packards really Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I fully consider 55-56 Packards as "real" Packards, they were designed and built by Packard, using Packard Bodies, engines and transmissions.
I don't consider '57-'58 Packards as A Packard. They are a glorified Studebaker, and nre not a bad car per se, but not a Packard but a badge engineered Studebaker.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 20:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks GTO for not mentioning my name. Obviously I revised my thinking some 12 years ago when I purchased my 56 Caribbean convt.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 20:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I knew you would appreciate the fact that I did not mention your name.I do recall though that when I bought my 1955 400, my father said "Why buy that? It's not a real Packard"

Posted on: 2009/1/14 20:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
GTO,

Curious do you own a GTO,if so what year?

Posted on: 2009/1/14 20:57
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
GTO: The question you have asked has been asked several thousand's of times by Packard people all over the world since Packard went out of business.

My answer to your question is that at onetime I thought the 57 and 58 Packard's were just Studebakers. However over the years I have changed my thoughts on this and now consider them REAL PACKARDS.

I think that they are certainly a better looking automobile than the 57 and 58 Studebaker with the exception of the Hawk.

Some of the old time Packard people out there still think that any Packard produced after WWII wasn't a real Packard.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/1/14 20:58
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
my opinion is that, no 57s, and 58s are not real Packards, because they were built in studebakers plant by studebaker.

56 of course are real, because they werebuilt BY Packard.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 21:40
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The 55-56 Packards were built by the Studebaker-Packard Corporation. They were not built at East Grand Blvd, but the infamous Connor Ave. plant. The S-P Corp for financial reasons shut down Detroit operation. Would you not accept the Predictor or the 57 derivation because it was built at South Bend? The S-P Corp had the right to badge those cars as Packards and they deserve the respect of all Packard owners. There are still many Packard folk who don't like any Packard from 1948 up.
Enough finger pointing - just enjoy your ride(s).

Posted on: 2009/1/14 22:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
My feeling is they were made by Studebaker-Packard corp sold by Packard Dealers. Registered and licensed as Packard's at least in the commonwealth of Pa. They were sold as Packard's and bought as Packard's.
The reason any car company ceased to make any model was that the public did not buy them.
I bought mine because as 13 year old I liked the looks of the tail lights and the dual rear antennas. I have always been attracted to the underdog cars. Packard, Studebaker, Hudson, Henry J, Desoto, Nash guess I have the ability to like losers.
As my old boss use to say the company makes what ever they build to make money no profit no company.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 23:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
What is a real Packard?

Any automobile that has "Packard Motor Car Company" or "Packard" on the serial #.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 3:41
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved