Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

ElGroucho, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

282 oil pressure sensor location
Just popping in
Just popping in

maweist
See User information
Could some one help? I have nothing hooked to the back of my gauge for oil pressure on my 1940 model 1801. Not sure where the oil sensor is located?

Posted on: 2018/8/18 14:17
 Top  Print   

Re: 282 oil pressure sensor location
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day maweist,
to PackardInfo.

Not a sensor. Your '40 120 should have a fitting at the lower right rear of the block from which a very thin tube runs through the firewall and connects with the back of the oil pressure gauge. Believe the fitting in the block taps into an oil gallery. The more knowledgeable and experienced here will be able to give more specific advice.

And I invite you to include your '40 120 in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 16:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your oil pressure gauge is of the Bourdon tube type, a direct-reading mechanical gauge. The fine capillary tube Mal mentions transmits the pressure from the main oil gallery directly to the rear of the gauge.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 17:21
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

maweist
See User information
Thanks for the responses. I just completed a total re-wire and the oil is the last thing. I can't find info or pictures in any books and since there appears to be nothing there, I'm at a loss.

Attach file:

jpg  (198.11 KB)
152510_5b7964362c455.jpg 1920X1434 px

Posted on: 2018/8/19 7:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...Such gauges are still made and I put one in our 49 and mounted it under the edge of the dash. I purchased it at O'Riley's Auto Parts Store.

The usual suppliers Kanter or Max Merritt might have an original or a reproduction that will work for you and then your dash could continue to look original. Other far more knowledgeable members will make suggestions of other suppliers as the day goes on. You Packard looks very nice. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2018/8/19 10:58
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
At a picnic today of the local region of The Packard Club I was able to take a look at the routing of the oil pressure gauge line for your car, it is as described previously in this thread. The loops are to absorb the motion between the movement of the engine and the cowl, thus eliminating the concern for "fatique fracture" of the line.

Sorry for the picture quality, I had a fight with my auto-focus function and lost. But you can clearly see the feed from the rear of the main oil gallery.

Attach file:

jpg  (204.18 KB)
177_5b79d87156580.jpg 1920X1088 px

Posted on: 2018/8/19 15:29
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

maweist
See User information
owen_dyneto......Your the man!! I really appreciate your effort. Thanks. Now if I knew what went into the gage site, That would be amazing. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2018/8/20 20:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is an old thread for a 37 linehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14700&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0 and the photo O_D posted looks similar to what is posted in that thread. Maybe the fitting and line would be the same. If there is enough of the old line on the back of the gauge it might be possible to use a line repair kit and replace the missing piece or if not enough room for a fitting at the gauge end solder a sleeve over the old and new line like when replacing a temp gauge sensor line and bulb.http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

Not sure you would find the original Packard fitting at the engine for authenticity but if that is not a big concern a modern compression or a flare setup should work as well.

If you didn't want to tackle the job Wolf Instrument repair could surely do the work.

Posted on: 2018/8/20 20:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

maweist
See User information
Anything would help. There's literally nothing there. I'll look in the directory for Wolf's. Thanks.

Posted on: 2018/8/21 19:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I just looked at the tubing connector at the oil gallery on my spare '34 engine, it's of inverted flare type - the parts books would tell if yours is the same, more than likely it is. And here's Wolf contact info:

Attach file:

jpg  (58.76 KB)
177_5b7d69fa6c33d.jpg 1200X392 px

Posted on: 2018/8/22 8:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved