Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Steering floating
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

J-P
See User information
Great! thank you for the advice.

Posted on: 2018/9/25 19:21
J-P
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Regarding the tire size, 6.70 X 15 is way too narrow a tread for a 23rd Series Custom; that is a size for a smaller/lighter car such as a Chevrolet. According to the Coker Tire website, 8.20 X 15 (bias ply) or 235/75R15 (radial ply) tires are correct for your car. I suspect those 6.70s would be at least a contributing factor to the handling problems you are experiencing. Perhaps tire shopping should be the first item on your Custom's "to-do" list.

Posted on: 2018/9/25 21:44
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

J-P
See User information
Thanks Don for the advice. I thought so. I will get new tires and refill the front shock absorbers as soon as I can. I want to enjoy the car a little more before winter.

Posted on: 2018/9/25 22:08
J-P
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I agree with Don, but don't go overboard (even wider is not better) because of the tight fit in the back.

Posted on: 2018/9/26 7:00
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

J-P
See User information
I will check the space in the back. Thank you. Have a great day.

Posted on: 2018/9/26 9:19
J-P
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I have these experiences on my 1950 Series 23 Touring Sedan. First I went to a good alignment shop and had the front and rear suspension rebuilt and aligned. Then I got rid of the wrong size Coker tires and bought some Diamondback radials. The tire size is critical because there is not enough space on the rear for modern low profile tires. The result worked well but the cost was about $3000 for everything.

If you want a cheaper solution you can check for slop in the suspension and replace only the worst parts. Checking the toe-in is probably the most critical alignment issue but it will be impossible to hold the setting if the joints have slop. Replace the tires after checking the suspension because the new tires can be damaged by misaligned front suspension.

Posted on: 2018/9/26 11:36
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

J-P
See User information
Thanks Fred.
I had the alignment done about 3 weeks ago, but from the answers i got from all the messages, I definitely must check the front shock absorbers first, replace the tires, and replace the rear shocks.
I had given the shop a copy of the spec for the alignment. However, once I fix the suspension and replace the tires, I will have it checked again.
Regarding the tires I was thinking L78-15 Classic Bias ply from Coker (because of price), but can you elaborate on the preference for Diamondback radials?
Do you know if there is a significant driving difference?
Since I have to buy a new set, I might as well buy what's best.
I replaced the pitman arm, all the rubber bushings, and the stabiliser links, and had the front end services (greased).
As far as cost...I know what you mean..I am not done yet and I know how much I spent already. But my car is in real good condition, except that it has been sitting for few years, and needs some mechanical TLC..

Posted on: 2018/9/26 13:17
J-P
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
my $.02 is that the radials drive better, but be aware that they can be a judging deduction in some venues, if that matters to you. Radials didn't come out until the mid fifties, and weren't offered by American OEM's until much later than that.
my comment is based on driving two different cars, though, not both on the same car.

Also consider blackwalls vs whitewalls, which comes down more to personal preference, but if you choose whitewalls I'd try to be original or close to it in width

Posted on: 2018/9/26 14:37
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

J-P
See User information
Thanks bkazmer.
I am not concerned by a judging deduction. As my car is a very good condition, it is not Concours. I think for the amount of driving i do per year, i will try to stick as close as possible to the original in width.

Posted on: 2018/9/26 16:09
J-P
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I went through the same trade-offs on my Packard. I have already had enough bad experience with Coker to never use them again. The bias ply tires are not as directionally stable as radials so look for radials. I bought Diamondback radials because they look authentic on the car. However they are very costly and you have to run high tire pressure to keep the whitewalls from cracking.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 16:36
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved