Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear Gears
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I was browing through the specification section in the '54 Service Manual, and noticed something about the Rear ratios on the '54 models. Why does the Clipper Deluxe Chassis use a of 3.23, anf most of the other Chassis use a of 3.54 for the Ultramatic? (see attached pic)

Attach file:

jpg  (85.85 KB)
1_4974ddd06dcb8.jpg 1056X492 px

Posted on: 2009/1/19 15:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear Gears
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
lower end model...they do that nowadays. my ford ranger edge had 4.10 rear gears....while the others were not.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 15:31
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
The 5400 had a 288 so a little lower axle ratio accommodated lower power output. The clipper deluxe had a 327, but ran the smaller 7.60-15 tires. It has the power and torque to maintain a higher cruise speed at a lower rpm. It appears they made up the difference with taller gears in this model. The other cars listed seem to run 8.00-15 tires and are equipped with a 327, therefore run a lower axle ratio giving nearly the same rpm / mph relationship.

There is roughly a 10% difference in the gearing between the two ratios, and I am guessing about the same difference between the 7.60-15 and 8.00-15 tires in rolling circumference.

This is just a stab in the dark, but hey, even a blind bird gets a worm once in a while.

Jim

Posted on: 2009/1/19 17:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i like your answer better LOL!!!

Posted on: 2009/1/19 18:16
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think the reason is likely entirely promotional, that it was very important to Packard that the Clipper not outperform the premium Packards so they geared it such that it didn't have either gearing or power to overcome the wind resistance at higher speed and thus had a lower top speed. Of course acceleration would also be slower, due both to the gearing and horsepower/torque.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 18:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I do find it odd that they did not apply the 3.23 ratio to the 288 Clipper "Specials" which were the lowest end Clippers offered, only 327 Clippers. You would have thought that they would have offered the same ratio across the Clipper line.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 21:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
A light car with a big high torque engine can spin the higher gear. The same car with a smaller engine can't. Likewise, the same engine in a heavy car has no power to spare and needs the help of lower gearing.

The Clipper Deluxe would have more relaxed high speed cruising and a tad better mileage thanks to the higher gearing.

It's really a matter of weight and how much power you have to move it. I bet you find the standard Clipper and the heavy models have about the same power to weight ratio while the Clipper Deluxe has more horsepower and more torque per pound of weight.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 21:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved