Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 64

HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: FIAT and CHRYSLER
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Hmm. Good bet that hamster is trained at my local power company!

Posted on: 2009/1/24 23:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gerardo
See User information
Reality check:

Fiat is not owned by the Italian government. It has also not asked for government bailout money from the government as Chrysler has (at least for now... 2009 will be difficult for everyone).

Fiat has had big sales gains in Europe and the world in the last few years due to great designs ( Fiat 500 and the Panda) and improvements in quality. The company is healthy, well run, innovative and much admired in the automobile business. Europe is a difficult market with demanding consumers, yet Fiat is gaining market share. Meanwhile Consumer Reports rates Chrysler quality as the worst in the US and sales are in the toilet.

Note too: Fiat makes Ferrari and Maserati ...among the most desirable sport/luxury car brands in the world. These brands have limited production, but are huge money makers.

I think it's pretty hilarious that a poster above writes: "If they merge with Fiat the turbine will be run with a hamster."... meanwhile Fiat produces Ferrari and Maserati's magnificent V12s... engines that Chrysler would not begin to know how to engineer. LOL.

No wonder (and rather ironically) Chrysler, a company once involved in NASA's space program, is turning to Fiat for technology.

Fiat is mostly interested in Chrysler for the Jeep brand... Dodge will stick around but the once great name "Chrysler" means little today. Fiat also wants to launch Alfa Romeo in the US and introduce a big sedan on the lines of BMW and Audi.

It is interesting that Chrysler is basically giving 35% to Fiat ...indicative of the bad shape Chrysler is in.

----

Must be some hamster in there...

Attach file:

jpg  (18.59 KB)
1166_497c5884d095d.jpg 440X306 px

Posted on: 2009/1/25 6:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi all,

I must say that my brand new Chrysler 300c is an excellent car. The first new car I have bought in years. It has been slated here in Europe as having poor build quality and comparing badly to the S-Class merc.

As someone who understands the difference between US and European cars, I can say that there is no comparison between them. Chrysler are not trying to build S-Class mercs. I drive an S-Class and my 300c regularly and I really prefer the clean uncluttered lines and interior of the 300c.

As I have stated previously I would not have bought the 300c if FIAT had any involvement in producing it.

There is a good reason why FIAT have a poor reputation and very poor second-hand value. Not everyone can afford FIAT developed supercars - into which all the proper designing and engineering go.

And everyone is entitled to my opinion!

Pat.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.52 KB)
1195_497c5990d93df.jpg 300X200 px

Posted on: 2009/1/25 7:22
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gerardo
See User information
"As I have stated previously I would not have bought the 300c if FIAT had any involvement in producing it."

Well gee... looks like you bought it just in time!:

"Amid the 2008 automobile crisis, Chrysler announced in December 2008 that they were almost out of cash, and might not survive past 2009. After the defeat of the auto bailout in the Senate, Chrysler stated that they would most likely file for bankruptcy and shut down all operations permanently. On December 17, 2008, Chrysler announced that it would close all of its North American plants on December 19 for at least a month or longer. That same day, President Bush announced a $13.4 billion rescue loan for the American automakers, including Chrysler."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler

Posted on: 2009/1/25 7:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Many of us have our Fiat frame of reference based on the Fiat cars built in the 1950's and 1960's. I can remember in the mid 1960's when the owner of a used car lot in my home town swallowed hard and made the $3000 investment to buy a sign, the only requirement at that time to get a Datsun dealership. The Fiat sold in Europe today is not the Fiat of the 1960's just like the Datsun 1600 bears no resemblance to its successor of today. I think the big winners in this deal will be Chrysler's USA dealership network who will have more products to sell. Here's hoping for success for both Chrysler and Fiat and maybe a 15 million car USA market again in the next 5 years. "A rising tide floats all boats".

Posted on: 2009/1/25 8:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the perfect car would have a French body, an Italian engine, German dependability, and a British interior. Put the Packard crest on it and it'll be even better, lol!

Posted on: 2009/1/25 10:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Geraldo, Please don't take offence. The hamster comment was simply meant as a joke. I have a friend who owns and drives a tiny 1960's Fiat Cinquecentro with the 500c.c. engine and I often kid him about the hamster on a treadmill under the hood. I also have a friend with a beautiful 1973 Ferrai Dino which I understand was build also by Fiat at Modena so I am aware that they also have and still do make some seriously powerful autombiles. I travel to Europe every few years and know that Fiats are well regarded but in Canada where they have not been sold for many years we still think of the Fiat 123's and the Russian spinoff Ladas which were basically Fiat 123's and which were less than stella examples of the automakers craft.

Posted on: 2009/1/25 10:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gerardo
See User information
^ Certainly, just as many other small car buyers remember those "less than steller examples of the automakers craft" like: the Pinto, the Chevette, the Vega, the Cavalier...

Posted on: 2009/1/25 11:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And some Renaults, Rovers, Hondas, Citroens etc etc. Point being there is probably not a manufactured product in the world with at least one version or model that should be thought of as a work in progress and forgotten. Designed for a reason, shortcut taken, didn't work out so lesson learned and corrections hopefully applied to the next offering.

Of course, if you happen to be one of the unfortunate buyers of that particular item, your perspective may be a bit slanted -- but then you might also be one of the fortunate whose gas tank didn't explode or timing belt didn't self destruct or fender rust off--at which case, it might have been a great car in your experience.

Posted on: 2009/1/25 11:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

gerardo wrote:
^ Certainly, just as many other small car buyers remember those "less than steller examples of the automakers craft" like: the Pinto, the Chevette, the Vega, the Cavalier...

Absolutely! The problem Fiat and many Euro car companies that no longer offer products in North America have is perception based upon a model that was a failure or a dealer network that was weak (Lada, Daiwoo, Fiat, Peugeot,Renault, Alfa Romeo, all the British makes and even Mercedes and BMW )which led some most of them to stop offering products in N.A.
Ford had terrible rust prone LTD's in the 70's , Chrysler made lemoms called Volare and Aspen and GM had Vega, Cavalier, Cadillac Cimarron and others but they continued to make product lines that were very good and their reputation was reestablished or remained in tact.
Many people say FORD stands for Fix or Repair Daily or Found On Road Dead but I have driven Ford Crown Victorias for almost 30 years and this model at least has been reliable and acceptably trouble free. I would not have owned a Ford in the early 70's. Hyundais first offering in Canada was a trial balloon not sold in the US called a Pony which sold like hotcakes but the bodies disintegrated with the road salt so fast they gave the company a really bad reputation for years that they have only recently recovered from. I would not hesitate to buy a Hyundai today since the products are excellent and the dealers network is well established. If Fiat had stayed with selling cars in Canada with a strong dealer network the better products would have established a better reputation also. BTW the Chevette was not a bad car for the price as there are still a few on the roads up here.

Posted on: 2009/1/25 13:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved