Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
36 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 36

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1941 160 Gas tank question
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Dose anyone reproduce a gas tank for a 41 160 or is there a new tank from something else that will fit? Over the years I have tried boiling and coating tanks also sent them away and had it done. and after 10 or 15 years the coating starts coming off and you have to do it again. was hoping to install a new one.

Posted on: 2019/1/12 16:01
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 160 Gas tank question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
You might want to try and start using non alcohol added fuel. You can find more stations starting to sell it.

I might be biased but my classic cars seem to run better.

Just my 2 cents...

Posted on: 2019/1/12 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Over the years I have tried boiling and coating tanks also sent them away and had it done...

Tom (29tons), what your tank needs is a cement mixer, a quarter gallon diesel and a handful of screws or pebble gravel. => There you'll find alternative ways.

<iframe width="500" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fDo-7f5QK0E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2019/1/13 1:40
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
In the old days we actually did have some made for people who liked spending money. The problem is the ethanol is so corrosive. That's why tanks today are plastic. One thing I saw on Leno that actually might be useful is he says running 50:1 two stroke oil will prevent corrosion. That doesn't jive with all of the diesel truck fuel problems however.

I'll be dead in fifteen years so a fifteen year cycle doesn't seem unreasonable given those cars burn more gas than the M1000 streamliner.

Posted on: 2019/1/13 6:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suspect the problem with failure of tank linings is more to do with materials and preparation, and less to do with ethanol. My '34 tank was coated by a professional some years before ethanol/gas was introduced, and that's all it's seen since for perhaps 30 years, and never a problem. Plenty of others I know of with similar positive experiences for very long periods of time.

Posted on: 2019/1/13 9:19
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tabletennissport
See User information
You could try Keppich Exhausts. I bought a new reproduction from them a few years ago and am very happy with it.

Posted on: 2019/1/17 22:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Thanks for the replys

Posted on: 2019/1/20 14:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Well I cant find a new tank so I am looking for a place to take this tank to . So can anyone can recommend a place near southeastern PA . to have it coated I have found 1 near greensburg PA but I was hoping for something closer

Posted on: 2019/2/16 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Check out this thread.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18256&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=20

Maybe Fred Kanter has completed the move and is ready to consider making the these tanks. Yoo hoo, Fred?

Posted on: 2019/2/16 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I've found Razzi Auto Radiators and A/C in Glenside PA (Suburban Philadelphia in Montgomery County) to do excellent work in tank coating. Over the years they've boiled out and coated two fuel tanks and a fuel vacuum tank for me. Numerous other local hobbyists have done business with them also and I've never heard a bad word about them. Their phone number is (215) 884-9514.

Posted on: 2019/2/17 1:49
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved