Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 139

RCJ56, Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1948 Super Side View Mirrors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
what is the color on this green car? it is gorgeous!!!!!

Lighting, etc. can really play tricks with colors but if that's a factory color it looks like Code F, "Golden Green Metallic", same color my 48 Custom 8 was, a lovely color.

Posted on: 2009/1/23 16:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I'm not sure but I think it is Golden Green metallic. It's a friends car. It is pretty isn't it.

Posted on: 2009/1/24 12:50
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
BDeB, that metal filler you describe (and picture) seems so correct. The irony of this thread is that I just bought a driver's side mirror on eBay for my '41 Clipper and had the same question. My other question is; where on the molding is placement of the mirror correct? I noticed in one photo (blue car) that it was placed forward to the edge of the door. I've also seen it placed back farther, under (green car) or farther back beyond the vent window. All of these locations will work, I feel, but which is correct?

Posted on: 2009/1/24 15:57
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Try and find someone who found a Packard accessory mirror in the original box; it may contain the template for locating the mirror. This is how Packard did in the later years.

But if there was no template and since most (perhaps all) were dealer-installed, I'd suspect the dealer put you in the seat and selected a position based on your individual physique and choice of seat position.

Posted on: 2009/1/24 18:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
To add to what Dave said. Some of the service manuals also have information on mounting dealer installed accessories. The STB/SCs also included some of this information.

Posted on: 2009/1/24 18:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Walt Haskins
See User information
Thanks for the very valuable information. I had resolved to buy a mirror set from Kanter, but they were out of stock. I was more than puzzled, because the mirrors we have Kanter had already told me were correct (from looking at photos) but they clearly didn't fit the molding. I had resolved that the bases must have been slightly smaller to fit. Your spacer answers the question as to how our mirrors could be correct, but not fit, and we can easily make the spacer.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 19:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Denny Z wrote:
My other question is; where on the molding is placement of the mirror correct?

A 22nd Series Custom 8 sedan that I parted out had factory installed door mirrors. On that car the front mounting hole for the mirror was 3-1/2 inches back from the front of the stainless moulding on the door. I would expect the earlier Clippers to be similar.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 22:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I took BDeB's advise and made the filler strip for my nos mirror. I used 1/16" thick aluminum, shaped and drilled it as he suggested and then super glued it to the mirror base to make mounting easer. PERFECT!

Posted on: 2009/2/7 22:11
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jay Fisher has been mentioned quite a few times on this site as a source of mirrors, and from those that I've bought the quality is excellent, but better take a digitalis before you ask for the price. I believe I paid about $325 for a correct single sidemount mirror for my 56 Caribbean. Last I checked has not been able to re-source the bases for the clamp-on type for metal sidemount covers.

Another source for excellent quality mirrors is American Arrow Corp (Don Sommers), also very expensive, prices similar to Fishers.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 14:52
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Donovan
See User information
I know this is in response to your post in January 2009.

I just purchased a '49 Club Sedan and I need a right side rear view mirror. The drivers mirror is located on the horizontal stainless and appears to fit perfectly.

You stated that the mirrors are available as repops. Can you tell me where they're available? If they're no longed available new then I'm fine purchasing an original passenger side one.

Daniel Donovan
JoeDsKid

Posted on: 2019/4/16 10:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved