Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1948 Super Side View Mirrors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
1948 22nd series mirrors are different from the 23rd series 49 mirror. You said you have a 49 so you would need a mirror for a 23rd series as I believe the belt molding is different. 22nd series mirrors have been repro'd but I have not heard of any repros on the 23rd series being made. The two places listed above would most likely be the ones that would have them if they were.

Kanter currently lists a pair of 23rd series mirrors as available in the accessories section (Gr 33.000 at bottom of page) on their 40-50 Packard specific parts website page... If they still have them might be worth looking into as NOS or even good condition used may be hard to find. No idea if Kanters are NOS or repro but from the price I would almost guess NOS.https://www.kanter.com/packard/pac-450.html

Posted on: 2019/4/16 11:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
I took BDeB's advise and made the filler strip for my nos mirror. I used 1/16" thick aluminum, shaped and drilled it as he suggested and then super glued it to the mirror base to make mounting easer. PERFECT!

Since this old post has been revived, one comment to the above from several years ago is that aluminum is not a good choice where contact with steel and added moisture are likely. You would be building a battery with corrosion due to electrolysis. It might look good but certainly won't last underneath!

Posted on: 2019/4/16 13:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There may be others but one source for correct reproduction 22nd series external side-view mirrors is Dwight Heinmuller. His mounting plate is stainless steel.

Posted on: 2019/4/16 14:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Donovan,
to PackardInfo and, I invite you to include your '49 Club Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2019/4/16 18:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
Here are a couple of photos of the left and right mirrors on my '48 Super Eight Victoria convertible showing their mounting position in relation the the front leading tip of the stainless steel trim piece over which they are mounted.

Attach file:

jpeg  (198.61 KB)
364_5d019ecc9c162.jpeg 2048X1536 px

jpeg  (178.28 KB)
364_5d019ee1aac7a.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/6/12 19:56
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I recently bought a 1947 Custom Super Clipper and purchased a pair of the gooseneck side mirrors that I see in these posts. I had no trouble installing them; however, the position of the mirrors is positioned at a 90% angle to the door. The mirror itself can only rotate so far so all I can see out of them is the asphalt. The passenger side mirror is barely visible at all. As far as I can "see," these proper rear view mirrors look great but are utterly useless.

Can anyone out there give me information about how I might adjust these mirrors so that they can actually be used as intended? I really like the style of these mirrors, but I really would like them to work for safety.

Posted on: 4/9 14:45
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
If you twist the mirrors relative to the mounting arm you should be able to find a position where they can be rotated towards or away from the body tol give you a good view to the rear.

The passenger side is more difficult.

Posted on: 4/9 14:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved