Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Non packard question
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Sorry to bring this here, but You're all the smartest group I know in regards to car ID.

My mother in law was going through a box of pictures from her Grandparents and came across this picture. Its puzzled me for awhile. I am confused by the grille, and the round holes in the doors. The windshield frame looks very modified. Armored car with holes to poke guns out of? Well. What do you guys think?

Attach file:

jpg  (196.89 KB)
633_5c549f5256435.jpg 1441X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/2/1 14:34
 Top  Print 

Re: Non packard question
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I suggest you also post this interesting car on the AACA site under "What is it"https://forums.aaca.org/forum/66-what-is-it/

Posted on: 2019/2/1 15:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Damfino! Ernie in Arizona...perhaps a locomobile!

Posted on: 2019/2/1 16:31
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Thanks David,

I have set up an account over there and posted the picture. Should I delete post?

Posted on: 2019/2/1 16:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...Please be kind enough to leave the post; it will be fun to see who figures out the answer...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/2/1 16:43
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Yes, leave it please. Wider exposure may help in the identification.

Posted on: 2019/2/1 16:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
My guess would be a Du Pont. if it is it would be a very rare car. only 537 total cars. Expensive too.

Posted on: 2019/2/2 9:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
During the 1920's, there was an aftermarket customizing movement that was more akin to the 1940's-1950's "Kustoms" than the custom coach building then at its zenith. It took various forms, one which this car appears to be. The process was to start with a large, used older expensive make and modify its styling to disguise its origin. Many even attached nameplates to pretentious suggest it was custom-built for the current owner.

By the size of the wheels, length of the hood and wheelbase and overlapping door seems, it was a large make from the 1917-1922 era. The radiator shell, which either mimicked Rolls-Royce or was unidentifiably non-descript, would have vertical bars attached, appears on a number of these customs. The hood would be formed to make the transition.

Other popular custom features were the victoria cape top, the aftermarket low chromed windshield, porthole vents rounding out the package. Those large headlights on fork stanchions were common on luxury makes up to the mid-1920's, sources from a wrecking yard. The only features missing are the fenders bobbed to cycle-style, running boards replaced with individual step plates and wire wheels.

For a moderate outlay with work done by a local body and fender shop, the owner got a "distinctive motorcar" to impress his friends and family.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/2/2 9:39
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Very interesting picture. My attention is drawn to what appears to be a red light on the windshield and then possibly a siren mounted on the cowl, mid windshield. To add mystery to this the ports in the door are similar to one on the side hood, though it is not fully shown, it appears the same size and in a direct plane. My guess is it was designed for a handhold or door latch.

Maybe a dignitary's car is my guess. Let's see what happens

Posted on: 2019/2/2 15:02
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
My guess is that it is a police flying squad patrol car equpped with armor plate, bulletproof windshield, grille guard and other features for running down bank robbers, bandits and bootleggers.

Posted on: 2019/2/2 19:03
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved