Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 20 »

Re: Packard Bikes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes indeed, and fascinating too! Such a wealth of information which I gather barely touches the surface of Leeedy’s wonderful collection, which I would love to visit sometime should he be in the mood.

It would be great to see a separate one of the Packard organs and pianos although as Leeedy mentioned, they are covered here already.

Posted on: 2022/12/31 3:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Luvmyboyz wrote:
Here are a few more. I have taken a lot already just kinda figuring this forum out

NBHAA and myself have been identifying Packard bicycles for many decades now. We have over 80,000 original catalogues, books, publications, photos, factory documents and advertisements. Normally you would need to go to NBHAA and request a formal Official Detailed Report which requires a standard research fee.

But as a favor to you on this Packard Information forum as we head to the 2023 New Year, here is additional information. All for you and regarding the bicycle with the ASC "Packard" headbadge you have.

The one component (aside from the headbadge) that for sure is original Arnold, Schwinn & Company-made is the frame.

Your frame is one of what I call the DX series. Packard automobile people: I will translate this for you: DX = "junior series".... For images of a "senior" 1941 ASC-built Packard Bicycle, scroll back in this thread and see photos of my 1941 Schwinn-Built Packard Autocycle (a senior series) in 2-tone green.

Now. I am attaching an original ASC distributor sheet that shows the three lines of ASC-built "DX" models for 1940-1941. Your Packard bicycle would fall under the heading for either #2 or #3. The most deluxe frame with the spring fork differed slightly. One notable/visible difference: on most of these was a little tube welded onto the frame downtube just south of the head tube. The purpose of this little tube was to hold two rubber bumper tips. What was the purpose of these rubber tips and the metal tube that held them? They were there to catch the knee-action spring fork legs to prevent the fork legs from impacting (and thus denting) the horn tank.

Other than frame differences, there is no way to determine which trim level your frame originally had– based on appearance now or from the serial number. The ASC factory didn't keep such records. The only thing I can tell you for sure in this regard is that it was not the top-of-the-line special series because your frame does not have provision for the fork bumper. There were occasional wholesale-distributor (W-D) exceptions to this bumper/stop rule but most followed what we tell you here.

As you can see in the literature, the seat is different (a Mesinger Model "B"); the chain guard is different and the fenders were much fatter. While the slim 1939-style fenders still managed to be installed on some 1939-1/2 models (which people today would call "1940") the usual 1940-42 fenders were fatter as you see in the literature provided here.

The original headlight was also very different. The headlight was a painted prewar "torpedo" type that loaded D-cell batteries from the front.

This same frame was made between 1940-1942. 1942 Models deleted the horn tanks even though they are shown in some literature (WW2 metal use restrictions). It was made in different frame heights with the seatpost tube being longer in "tall" frames. The DX series did not return until after the war and again, was somewhat different.

The name "Packard" on these bicycles was not a "model" like "Caribbean" or "180" or "120." The Packard name on these models was merely a name selected by the wholesaler or retailer out of many that were available. No matter who will tell you otherwise. It was not a model name and thus there were numerous configurations and trim levels possible on a Schwinn-Built "Packard" bicycle.

Who else tells you this stuff?

Happy New Year.

Attach file:

jpeg  Packard1941ASCmodelsWM.jpeg (391.64 KB)
1249_63b09e95c34d7.jpeg 1599X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/12/31 15:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When I was a kid growing up in Sacramento in the ‘50s, me best friend had a Schwinn with the front spring and I always wanted one like that but never did get one. Riding his, it was very comfortable.

Posted on: 2022/12/31 15:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Happy New Year to you too Leeedy!

A wealth of knowledge about "Packard" bikes, have learnt so much about them because of this thread.

I remember the time you graciously gave me in the Society of Automotive Historians tent at Hershey in 2018 along with signing and endorsing your Creative Industries book. I'd post a photo of you with the book, but I can't recall whether you agreed the photo could be published. Let me know one way or another.

Posted on: 2022/12/31 17:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Happy New Year to you too Leeedy!

A wealth of knowledge about "Packard" bikes, have learnt so much about them because of this thread.

I remember the time you graciously gave me in the Society of Automotive Historians tent at Hershey in 2018 along with signing and endorsing your Creative Industries book. I'd post a photo of you with the book, but I can't recall whether you agreed the photo could be published. Let me know one way or another.

Well, Happy New Year to you too. Thanks for the kind words. And no problem with posting the photo from the Hershey SAH event.

BTW, I was stationed with Australians while in Vietnam (yes they were there too). And then many years later found myself (among many other responsibilities with my employer of 20 years) placed in charge of New Model Training for Ford and Mazda of Australia. We had fun times many nights on the town in Hiroshima, Japan! But that's another story.

Also years ago when I had a very tall, beautiful Aussie girlfriend, we used to visit the long-gone Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas. A lot. She got a kick out of confusing the little guys (in full Ferengi costumes and make-up) who ran Quark's Bar (this was a real place). We did this by giving them Australian money! The kind with the little clear windows in it. They would look at US as if we just stepped out of a flying saucer! And told us the currency was not translatable to "gold pressed Latinum." But that's another story too! LOL.

Enjoyed meeting you at the SAH event and look forward to chatting again.

Best Regards and Wishes for a Happy, Prosperous, Packard-filled New Year!

Posted on: 2022/12/31 21:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
Yes indeed, and fascinating too! Such a wealth of information which I gather barely touches the surface of Leeedy’s wonderful collection, which I would love to visit sometime should he be in the mood.

It would be great to see a separate one of the Packard organs and pianos although as Leeedy mentioned, they are covered here already.

Thanks for the very kind words. I extend my Best Wishes for a Happy, Prosperous, Packard-filled New Year!

By the way. Donald Duck is nearly 6 feet tall and the entire original display from 1949 is motorized and animated. VERY rare. Donald actually pedals along and his eyes roll up and down as he pedals.

And don't believe anything the so-called "expert" said about Donald Duck bicycles on the TV show, Pawn Stars... this guy was dead wrong. Absolutely wrong! Donald Duck bicycles were made for several years, not one. And yes, I've got the original factory literature to prove it! And yes, Shelby Cycle Company made some Packard bicycles too!

Oh... and Robby is telling the truth below. We indeed have known one another for a very long time! I first saw Robby in 1956 in Forbidden Planet movie at the Adams Theater in downtown Detroit. But I met him live and face-to face (so to speak) in California in 1973.

For a time in the 1970s, Robby and his special futuristic car lived (along with some interesting Packards and other incredible stuff) at a long-gone place in Buena Park, California known as Movieworld Cars Of The Stars. I was involved in a vintage swap meet held there in their parking lot back then.

I also have actual photos of Robby and me shaking hands in 1974 on a re-created set of Forbidden Planet at Burbank, California. Yes, I am serious and not delirous!

Attach file:

jpg  DonaldDuckAnimatedDisplayWM.jpg (410.36 KB)
1249_63b0f5c8550fe.jpg 1805X1199 px

jpg  Robby&Bicycle2WM.jpg (208.50 KB)
1249_63b0f644ce306.jpg 1760X1808 px

jpg  NewHangingBicyclesTooWM copy.jpg (228.20 KB)
1249_63b0f67a17c49.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2022/12/31 21:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thanks Leeedy, photo posted.

Unfortunately, age has caught up with me precluding further attendance at Hershey. I'd like to catch up but it'll have to be digitally through PackardInfo.

Attach file:

jpg  Leon at Hershey 2018.JPG (265.65 KB)
226_63b11db4297e9.jpg 1666X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/1/1 0:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Thanks Leeedy, photo posted.

Unfortunately, age has caught up with me precluding further attendance at Hershey. I'd like to catch up but it'll have to be digitally through PackardInfo.

Wow.... thanks for the photo!

And age or no age... we'll continue staying in touch one way or the other. My new book on the 1956 Plymouth Plainsman concept car (it was built at Ghia along with the Packard Predictor) will cover its life. Including the time that Plainsman spent in the Australian outback. And how the name inspired the regular production Australian Plainsman wagons. True story. So stay tuned!

Be well and above all, keep having fun... and keep playing with Packards in 2023.

Posted on: 2023/1/1 3:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:
Quote:

JWL wrote:
Maybe we need a Packard Bikes section. What do folks here think?

We already have a "Packard bikes" section... we're in it. Been going on for a long, long time now.

Leeedy, this is true albeit a discussion forum in the General section. I was asking about a separate Packard Biles section. Happy New Year!

Posted on: 2023/1/1 15:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
This item turned up in one of my bicycle wholesale-distributor catalogues from 1939. Even though it is not a Packard bicycle, I thought I would share this. Since there has been so much recent interest and curiosity about items branded "Packard"... and just to show yours truly has and loves all things Packard. So check this one out.

In the late 1930s a company marketed what they branded a "PACKARD Lektro-Shaver" electric razor line. Not only were they selling the Packard Lektro-Shaver, but they also sold two different men's and women's shaving kits. These were:
1.) Packard Lektro-Shaver Accessory Kit
2.) Packard Lektro-Shaver Fitted Leather Travel Kit.

Just when you thought you either had or knew everything branded "Packard."

Oh, and no. They did not give you one of these to "sweeten the deal" on a Packard automobile. And Packard Motor Car Company was not involved (officially) with Packard Lektro-Shavers and shaving kits.

Have a look... and I'm betting most (if not all) of you have never seen one... Have fun!

Attach file:

jpeg  PackardLektroShaver&KitsLeeedyWM.jpeg (370.77 KB)
1249_63ceb7e5b5f21.jpeg 1382X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/1/23 11:22
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 20 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved