Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Conversion of 120 rear lights for turn signals etc
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I will be surprised if there is extra wire but sure hope so. In any case trying to use the brake filaments for both turn signals and brakes is going to be an adventure unless you can figure out some kind of steering diodes or relays to separate the bulbs and their functions. Without the turn signal switch separating the functions, if the turn signals are operating and you step on the brakes the constant brake power will light the bulb and keep it on even if the turn signal is flashing and trying to turn it off. Currently the body loom from the front of the car connects to the left tail light and via a small cross car loom goes over to the right tail light putting both tail light bulbs in parallel. If you don't have any wiring diagrams the A.E.A. diagrams can be downloaded from the wiring link on the left menu at the PAC site.https://www.packardclub.org

Posted on: 2019/2/3 21:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The add-on steering column turn signal switches take care of making the brake lights work while also doubling as turn signals. Simplified, each light connects to the switch and another to the brake light switch so no need for diodes, relays or anything else. The switches are made for the purpose so they handle it all just exactly like those on later cars where they were built-in do it.

Posted on: 2019/2/3 22:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If he has that type switch it would solve the problem but some of the older or cheaper add on units only had the basic switch and needed extra bulbs just as Packard did. If it is the type that separates, I am wondering why the person installing it did not take advantage of the function and use the original bulbs.

Maybe count the wires going to the switch or see if any are unused and set aside. Assuming nothing extra is in the assy the type switch that separates functions will have 1 wire for each light, one for power and another for the brake signal. Possibly another for a solid ground so total of 6 or 7. Would need to identify any extra to be sure but if it has a brake wire it would be simple to connect that wire to the brake switch and disconnect the heavy filaments from the loom brake wires in the trunk and connect the wires coming from the turn signals to the bulbs instead.

Posted on: 2019/2/3 22:06
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"I don't have an original generator casing and don't know what brand (Delco etc) the car originally came with. How hard would it be to find an original generator - presumably non-functioning - as a donor item?"

G'day Brian,

What distributor or starter motor is your Coupe equipped with? Reason being, whether they are Autolite or Delco the generator should "match", ie they were either Delco or Autolite system not a mix. Once you know which one it is, should be able to source a generator.

Have also attached a pic of the rear of my former '41 120 Club Coupe. It had a 6V system, Autolite if I remember correctly, but when it was done up turn signals were added. Used "Hot Rod" 12V lights, hardest part was finding 6V globes/bulbs to fit. Had a new wiring harness/loom made by the mob in Melbourne with additional wires included for the front and rear turn signals.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.06 KB)
226_5c57c47cb78fc.jpg 431X323 px

jpg  (26.75 KB)
226_5c57c530639c9.jpg 191X107 px

Posted on: 2019/2/3 23:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

See this post, from the Project Blog on my '41 120 Club Coupe, shows how I fitted the rear turn signal lights.

Posted on: 2019/2/4 0:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Nice car, if it was mine I would put it back to 6V. There is no problem with 6V.

Posted on: 2019/2/4 2:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I see vintage switches in various conditions on eBay that are set aside from the modern ones due to their self-canceling feature. Dating myself but the one on my 1940 was something I purchased new in a local auto parts store and looks just like these vintage units.

However, the modern ones look okay too and, while not a recommendation for this particular brand, here is how it is connected. Your car already has a terminal strip under the hood where wires from the front bright elements terminate but you'll also need to add a wire to one of the brake lights and another from the brake switch. The other tailllight can use the existing wire. It's actually quite easy as I was 17 when installed mine!

Attach file:

jpeg  (170.29 KB)
60923_5c57f239df5df.jpeg 1467X1779 px

Posted on: 2019/2/4 3:07
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved