Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Aluminum cylinder heads on the Twelve
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
Hi All ---
Apologies if this has been discussed before. . . .

On the Twelve engine of the mid-to-late 1930's, the cylinder heads were aluminum, so I understand. At least the car I am interested in has aluminum heads.

My question is, are all these aluminum heads just a time bomb waiting to go off? Will a blown head gasket be inevitable? Will replacement heads be a necessity in time?

Or is it possible that they could likely be just fine?

This question is partly motivated by my experience with the 1938 Super Eight engine. In that case, it's a good bet that if the block is good today, it will be bad tomorrow.

Thanks, guys
--- Luke

Posted on: 2019/2/14 13:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Aluminum cylinder heads on the Twelve
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd bet that the vast majority of Twelves that are out and running regularly and that have aluminum cylinder heads have newer reproduction heads which have been available from one source or another for a good many years. I also wouldn't be too surprised to learn that there are also a few still with original heads which have probably had a few repairs done to them over the years. But by today's standards the aluminum alloys used in the 30s were pretty unsophisticated and expectations of much further longevity from such heads just isn't in their DNA.

Do you actually think the heads on the car you are looking at are original and not reproduction? Could well be originals if the car is a museum piece and/or has been off the road for years. And if originals, I wouldn't give them a great chance for much future happy motoring.

Posted on: 2019/2/15 9:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Aluminum cylinder heads on the Twelve
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
In the early 1960s my father was overhauling a V-12 for a customer. The engine had aluminum heads that were no longer serviceable. The customer located another Packard Twelve in the area that was being used to power a saw. The engine had cast iron heads. He bought the whole kit just for the iron heads. Thanks for letting me share.

Posted on: 2019/2/16 13:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved