Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

VERY Basic Packard model history wanted
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mfowler
See User information
Somewhat new to Packard, and confused by Series and model years.
What I really want is a breakdown from say, about 1967 onward, how is each new model grouped?
IOW, model from 1936 to 1940 are similar,sheet metal, suspensions and engines?
The what is the next group of similar model years?

If I am looking for a 1949, what other years are basically the same?

Please include junior, as well as senior models. I am just trying to get my head around all this information.

Thanks.

A spreadsheet might be one way to present this data...maybe it already exists.

Posted on: 2019/2/24 15:03
 Top  Print 

Re: VERY Basic Packard model history wanted
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
"What I really want is a breakdown from say, about 1967 onward, how is each new model grouped?'

The above question is easy to do: For all practical purposes Packard ceased production about 1957/58.

Check the right side of this forum in the vertical column and click on "PACKARD MODEL INFO", "PACKARD LITERATURE AND MANUALS", 'PACKARD PHOTO ARCHIVE" and the "PACKARD SERVICE INDEX". I think ALL the information you are looking can be gleaned from the above. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2019/2/24 15:39
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
packardguy53.... do you mean the OTHER right side??

Posted on: 2019/2/24 21:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
OOOOPS! Started dinner wine too early

Posted on: 2019/2/24 22:10
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mfowler
See User information
Sorry guys,
I didn't proof read my OP.
I was asking for info from 1937 on. I may be a newb, but I knew they were gone bore 1960

Posted on: 2019/2/24 22:37
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mfowler
See User information
Actually, '37 to '52 would do nicely.

Posted on: 2019/2/24 22:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
1948 thru 1950 are the same basic body style. 1951 thru 1954 are basically the same body style. 1942-47 Clippers are basically the same body. Mostly engine size and trim levels separated jr cars from senior cars.

Posted on: 2019/2/25 10:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Others may disagree or have a better detail info but in a nutshell, my take is Packard went by series and for various reasons -- mostly because early on the same models carried over thru several years -- the series didn't coincide with calendar year until 1954. The basic model pricepoints remained essentially the same thruout the series changes but after 39 for the 1940 models the somewhat different senior cars kind of went away and the junior and senior lines more or less merged using the same basic body and structures with engine and trim levels differentiating the differences. Someone more versed in prewar years would need to elaborate on the differences prior to the shared body.

15th series was 1937, 16th 38, 17th 39, 18th 40, 19th 41, and 20th 42. Postwar the 21st series covered 46 and 47 which were almost identical to the prewar Clippers but with relatively minor differences in trim. The 22nd series was 48 thru mid 49 and the almost identical 23rd series -- again trim was the distinction -- was mid 49 thru 50. The 22-23 series bodies were heavily facelifted but was essentially bulked up 20 and 21st series Clippers. The large 356 engine remained thru 50 but the old 282 small eight and the six (still available in the 22nd taxi) was dropped for 48 and a new 288 small eight (5 main bearings) was introduced which became the block used for engines thru 54. The 356 was dropped for car use after the 23rd series and a new 9 main 327 based on the new 288 block took its place. The Ultramatic appeared during the 23rd series 50 production and carried thru late 54 with refinements only.

In 51 the 24th series body style and mechanicals was considerably changed but while the number changed to 25th series for 52 the cars were almost identical. 26th series 53s had quite a few trim changes but retained the same body styles and for 54 the decision was made that series and calendar year would coincide so the 54th series suddenly appeared.

For 54 even though the same earlier bodies were used Packard pulled out all the stops in trim and chrome use to make the hardtop and convertible which were based on junior bodies appear to be senior cars. The senior engine for 54 was a 359 which was a bored and stroked 327 9 main. It was also used on the hardtop and convertible still in the junior chassis but was a one year only engine as the V8 arrived in 55th series 55s. In late 54 a redesigned Ultramatic was introduced which added a new selector position with a second mode of operation -- the original no shift mode and a mode where the gears actually shifted from low to high when the car started moving. That was the Gear Start which in 55 was renamed the Twin Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2019/2/25 11:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
good summary. One add - the 22nd and 23rd series Super Eights used a 5 main bearing 327 based on the 288

Posted on: 2019/2/25 12:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi MFowler

Welcome and glad to hear you're looking at the 1948-1950 22nd-23rd Series of models. They remain some of the best collector car values for the money, good original maintained cars as well as first-class restorations are frequently for sale. We highlight as many on the Various CL Pickings thread here as we find when they appear.

To best decide what series and model is of most interest to you, avail yourself of a copy of Robert Neal's excellent book Packard 1948-1950 if you haven't already acquired one. As you might expect, Custom Eights, convertible and club sedans are in greater demand at higher prices than touring sedan but the later possess all the same fine qualities for more reasonable investment.

As has been nicely explained by others, Packard carried over powertrains across varying body series but are easily understood by reading the model information. Their last truly completely clean-slate car was the 1935 120. Good luck in your effort to become 'the man who owns one', please keep us apprised of your progress.

Stev

Posted on: 2019/2/25 14:20
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved