Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard rear end gear ratio and LSD/TT
Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
I have a 53 patrician. Has anyone attempted to use rear end gears or an LSD from a different vehicle in the packard axle to change the ratio or add limited slip? Looking at an overdrive trans but dont need to cruise at 90 mph.

Thanks
John R.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 8:51
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard rear end gear ratio and LSD/TT
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't think you need to consider other makes of vehicles unless you absolutely want limited slip. With Ultramatic the 3.54 rear axle was usually supplied and it should let you cruise reasonably effortlessly at 65-70 mph all day long. And if you want something taller, Packard offered a 3.23 ratio as well for the '53 Patrician. So if you go with an overdrive transmission, there would seem to be no reason to change the rear axle gearing.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 10:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Until the experts show up...
It's pretty unlikely that there is a brand X carrier that will fit the Packard Diff, certainly there are varying ratios available though. If you need a Posi, find something that fits & weld perches on it.
There is the '56 Dana assembly that I believe uses standard Dana 60 guts. If that is the case, then the sky is the limit! Just weld some perches on.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 10:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard also built their own rear ends in 53 so I doubt any LSD would be able to mount in the housing. I know changing the entire rear has been done by a few but don't believe any of them were simple drop ins and able to fit without some welding and mods to provide a different mounting.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 10:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Didn't Packard offer a limited slip differential with its 1954 models? I know they were the first to offer tubless tires in production models this year and thought they had the LSD too. If so, a LSD from a '54 should bolt right in with no modifications. If not, how about a '55 or '56 unit from a conventional suspension car? One of these units may require some mods to make it fit.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 10:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I could be wrong but thought the LSD that became available with the switch to the Dana rear end in 56 was the first offering. Packard called it Twin Traction and I believe it also became available on some Stude products.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 10:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Swapping a 56 rear axle with TT seems hard to find and still no gearing choices?
John

Posted on: 2019/3/12 10:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There were several ratio choices for the regular Dana axles in 56 and according to bulletin 56T-8 5 ratios were available with the TT axle. 4 on one assy and the highest -- 4.09 -- required a completely different assy. TT was a later addition and there is no specific mention in the earlier printed versions of parts and service literature. Other than the bulletin and some theory of how it operates in the April 56 service counselor there is no real nitty gritty of how to repair one other than a statement that a TT rear end was serviced in the same way as regular axles. If there was a problem with the TT part the unit was to be replaced as an assy because there were no detail replacement parts available.

From what I have read in other publications the unit Packard used was a very early version of the LSD. I believe Dana changed the clutch engagement from a single tapered contact surface around the circumferance of the clutch to multiple clutch discs with a much greater contact surface in the next LSD axles to make the clutch locking more positive and able to hold more torque. If that is the case I am not sure I would want the early Packard version even if it were easily found and could be mounted without difficulty.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 11:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
OK, I am intrigued--why LSD? Are you planning to use this car regularly in the snow? For occasional use in the snow, I would just recommend chains.

The usual 3.54 gears will have you turning 2500 rpm at 60, 2300 if you have 3.23 gears.

A 56 axle will bolt in easily except for changing the spring perches. Then you can get a 3.07 gearset which will yield about 2100 rpm. This is all a lot of work to save 400 rpm. Perhaps I don't grasp what you are hoping to achieve.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 11:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
The interest in an LSD was for traction but only secondary. But my real interest was higher numerical gears as part of changing the trans to a modern automatic overdrive unit. Maybe a 0.70 overdrive 4L65e or other.

John R.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 13:14
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved