Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine R&R...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi All,

Spent the day installing the beautifully rebuilt 245 CID 6 in my '39. All went reasonably well until I went to bolt up the cross-member. I don't know if any of you out there remember ever R&Ring that thing, but there is one body stud on the inner support arm that is a complete bastard to get at. (I can say that on here, right? - I said a helluva lot more than that in the garage today!!) I now remember fighting with it last fall when I removed the engine, I had a heck of a time getting it off. Now today with the engine blocked in place, I fought with it for over two hours, finally getting it into place and the 4 nuts started, only to find that there is a square plate connected to the brake/clutch assembly that I had had to loosen to get the thing apart and it had somehow gotten turned 180 degrees and now, with the cross member bolted back in, it can't turn. The air was foul and blue; the good wife showed up to see how I was doing just at the perfect moment - she quickly turned and deserted, and I decided to quit before blowing a gasket!!! I am using my Dad's adage that 'tomorrow is a brand new day' and will resume the assault in the AM. I will also get some pictures and post a couple to document the progress... Thanks for listening!!!

Posted on: 2019/3/18 20:02
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Re: Engine R&R...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Though blue, you are wise!!

Posted on: 2019/3/19 10:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... just at the perfect moment - she quickly turned and deserted ...

Chris (Packard newbie), the best of luck for tomorrow!

Posted on: 2019/3/19 11:28
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Guscha and RScott, for your kind comments. MUCH better day today - I got the cross member back out, turned the support bracket for the brake/clutch around and re-installed the cross-member with nary a swear word this morning. It's amazing what a fresh start can do!!! I have a very poor setup for working on the car; it's a tiny shed and I have the car up on stands, wheels off and am doing most of this stuff laying on the concrete looking up at the undercarriage of the car. I envy these guys with hoists!! I donned a headlight today and that helped immeasurably. All bolted up though, and was able to return the engine lift to it's owner and now just have to continue on putting it all back together. Thanks for abiding my ramblings... Couple of pics...

Attach file:

jpg  (287.57 KB)
121627_5c919f0571ecb.jpg 1920X1280 px

jpg  (302.75 KB)
121627_5c919f505b886.jpg 1920X1280 px

Posted on: 2019/3/19 21:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hard at it today... got a lot done and also fabricated my own clutch linkage rod out of 5/16" rod stock. Bent and drilled to match original - hard to tell the two apart, except for the extreme wear on the old one!! Couple of pics... Dave (Owen Dyneto) note the new fuel pump as per your good suggestion!!
A few more goes at it and I should be ready to put the front end clip back on.

Attach file:

jpg  (239.91 KB)
121627_5c96e9f1587df.jpg 1920X1280 px

jpg  (292.41 KB)
121627_5c96ea37c3bd6.jpg 1920X1280 px

Posted on: 2019/3/23 21:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
Looks awesome Chris!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2019/3/24 13:08
Pat and Melanie Westerkamp

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved