Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Testing generator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I have had this same question. Since it does not function as a volt meter, I just call it an ammeter. Close enough!!

Posted on: 2019/4/6 12:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Very generally, a volt meter would connect to a power source and ground (typically) while an ammeter connects inline between the source and load as it does on the Packard gauge. It IS an ammeter even if it is not calibrated or even incremented to give actual measurements in amps.

Anyway, great test procedures were outlined here that I will find quite handy when working on my cars as this is the stuff that 30 or 40 years of not working on them has made me forget!

Posted on: 2019/4/6 13:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Or to put it another way, connect voltmeters in parallel and ammeters in series.

Posted on: 2019/4/6 17:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
The ammeter on my 740 registers charge, but very low compared to the specs. I bought a Model A ammeter for $15, temporarily connected it inline and found the actual generator output was actually set too high. I adjusted the third brush to set the correct amperage. Now I know that my dash ammeter registers only about 1/3 the actual charging rate. I wonder if the dash meter can be adjusted somehow.

Posted on: 2019/4/7 15:39
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I ran the test by grounding the field coil temporarily. The "genny" is hot! The meter pegged. So, cursing the voltage regulator, quietly.
Another factor is: I did put in a 6v Optima. As the voltage regulator is mechanical, I thought the Optima would not be an issue. Was I right??
Cleaning the points tomorrow...what saint should I address in my prayers?? A powerful heathen saint would suit just as well....

Posted on: 2019/4/7 18:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just for something to do check the nuts on the back of the ammeter for tightness. Probably not the issue but if I remember, another poster had poor charging issues, changed several regulators and finally traced the problem to a bad connection at the ammeter. Once that was fixed the poor charging and regulator changing went away.

Posted on: 2019/4/7 18:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
A good thing to try...I am assuming I need to remove the instrument board? Any info? Is anything published?

Posted on: 2019/4/8 7:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Shouldn't need to disassemble anything as the nuts are in the open but the area is a bit congested with switches and mounting brackets nearby so you may need to bend in places not accustomed to bending. Possibly the wiring loom could hinder access too but probably easier access to terminals than getting to the ign switch. Both terminals are hot all the time so be sure and disconnect the battery. Probably not the issue but a quick check of their tightness wouldn't hurt.

Attach file:

jpg  (120.66 KB)
209_5cab4cb05df3a.jpg 1280X454 px

Posted on: 2019/4/8 8:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
The car was rewired so congested under there. But, as I do yoga twice a week, I can get under there!!!

Thanks!!

Posted on: 2019/4/8 8:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
If you have a decent voltmeter measure the voltage across the battery with the engine running. The generator should get it up to about 7 to 7.5 volts even with the lights on.
fast idle.

Jim

Posted on: 2019/5/11 16:23
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved