Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Drill out broken exhaust manifold stud- water/antifreeze!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Stephen Templeton
See User information
Per a previous post, I am re-porcelainizing my intake and exhaust manifolds. Unfortunately, one of the exhaust manifold studs was corroded and broke about 1/2 inch above the flush surface. I used lots of penetrating oil and heat but when I tried to remove it, it broke again about 1/4 inch inside the drilled stud hole. Today, I decided I would have to drill it out, so I started with a very narrow 1/16 bit and to my surprise, it drilled very easily and before I know it I was through the stud, but when I pulled the bit out antifreeze came shooting out through the hole I had drilled through the broken stud! I had noticed that the freeze plugs were located on the same horizontal level as the studs, so I guess it makes sense that the water channels communicate completely with the drilled exhaust stud holes. I've drained the water to a level below the holes, and I suppose I will continue to drill out the broken stud or try an easy out. Does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom with this. I don't think I can do any harm continuing to drill out the broken stud, but I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who has more knowledge.

Attach file:

jpg  (172.36 KB)
184962_5cb8fc56700bf.jpg 959X1280 px

jpg  (312.60 KB)
184962_5cb8fc6e00c87.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/4/18 17:38
 Top  Print 

Re: Drill out broken exhaust manifold stud- water/antifreeze!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Stephen Templeton
See User information
Just realized I forgot to say that this is a 1931 840 engine- thanks!

Posted on: 2019/4/18 17:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Just a couple suggestions, reverse drill bit and grease the bit, to help collect the little bits as your drilling.
Wes

Posted on: 2019/4/18 18:51
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Stephen Templeton
See User information
Thanks Wesley-- I guess my main question and concern is: Do the exhaust manifold studs normally communicate with the underlying water jackets? If not, I guess it's possible that someone previously drilled too deep and connected with a water jacket. Crack in the block? It's hard to imagine that a bad head gasket could cause this given the location of the stud holes.

Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2019/4/18 19:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Those stud holes are all drilled into the water jacket. Carry on. Put some sealer on the new stud.

Posted on: 2019/4/18 19:42
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Stephen Templeton
See User information
Thanks Ross- what sealant would be best- I assume a non-hardening sealant would be indicated.

Thanks

Posted on: 2019/4/18 20:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
In my working life, I had a lot to do with a line of products made in the US by a company called Federal Process. They make an excellent thread sealant called 'Gasoila' soft-set. It is gas and oil compatible, does an excellent job of sealing and never hardens. (so disassembling down the road is never a problem. Just as an aside, this company also makes a 'rust buster' product called 'Free-all' and I have never seen anything that holds a candle to it for breaking loose frozen parts. Check out Gasoila - top-drawer product. Chris

Posted on: 2019/4/18 21:19
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Apologies for jumping in. I've got essentially the same engine and I used Indian Head gasket shellac on my manifold studs, that was nearly 15 years ago and no problems yet.

Posted on: 2019/4/18 21:21
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Stephen Templeton
See User information
Many thanks to all who have responded. I'm relieved to hear that these stud holes weren't blind holes but are in contact with the water jacket.

I've never heard of Gasoila products. Looking at their website, they seem to have a sealant for just about every application. They make two gasoline/ethanol resistant types: the Soft Set Thread Paste with PTFE and the E-Seal Thread Sealant. Anyone used both of these- preference?

I suppose Permatex Ultra Black would work well too.

Thanks again!

Attach file:

jpeg  (222.59 KB)
184962_5cb9ae61a9c58.jpeg 2048X1535 px

jpeg  (215.85 KB)
184962_5cb9ae7556215.jpeg 2048X1535 px

Posted on: 2019/4/19 6:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If the manifold is a reproduction I would say go ahead and put new porcelain on it, but I would hesitate to do that to an original because I have seen them warp and crack into pieces. So unless the car is a trailer only case there is a very high risk of complications.

The 833 and 840 exhaust manifold are the most robust of the two piece systems, but nobody is deducting anymore for high temperature powder coat so I would do that rather than the porcelain route.

Posted on: 2019/4/19 6:32
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved