Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Treadle vac disassembly snag
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...perhaps you might chase the threads before you re-hang the unit...nice clean threads and a bit of oil will make them start and go in a bit easier, at least they do for me...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/5/26 17:46
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The Packard kits sold by Cadillac Parts Ltd seem to be more complete than those sold by others and if the photo is the kit received, it has the gasket with the hole that Howard pointed out. The kit sold by others appears to have a cork gasket without the hole. They also have new reproduction Treadlevac master cylinder castings.

Posted on: 2019/5/30 11:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That Cadillac place has a nice assortment of parts including some power window switches. I believe I remember reading that era Cadillac used the same switch as 55-6 Packards but different cosmetics. Does anyone know if that is true? If it is and if the Cad switches might be able to mount in the Packard bezel with minimal difficulty -- even if the switch button look might be a tiny bit different -- that would be a huge thing to know.

If I remember, Kanter also has a deluxe BTV rebuild kit that includes the ram but don't know if he has one with most of the power piston components as is shown in the link Don posted. Still missing the poppet parts but Ross has mentioned how he repairs those when needed. It does have the conical compensator valve spring that others have thought needed to be a part of all rebuild kits so definitely a more complete kit than I have seen from our vendors. The BTV repro master casting raises a question. It was pointed out by another poster that some of the repro castings do not have the relief port. I don't know if that is one of them but I don't see the relief port flush with the top. Unless it is lower down like the 52-3 BTVs and out of view in the photo, as we have seen when they become blocked in the Packard BTVs that is an important detail not to have and I would wonder if it was a suitable replacement if it does not have one.

There were several BTV versions that came along during their production. Packard only used two of the earlier types but other cars used models with different feedback methods and sensitivity control. Mounting was similar on all as far as I know but I wonder if the castings without a relief port might be for a different or later version than Packard used.

Posted on: 2019/5/30 12:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard posed some interesting questions about the casting so I've inquired about that and for this response:

Quote:
The reproduction bendix master cylinder casting does have a compensator port. However, the reproduction casting does not have a bleeder valve. 1956 Cadillac Bendix treadle vacs were the only units made with the bleeder valve. Hope this helps, we have supplied 28 of these bendix master cylinder reproductions to customers with packards this year.

Posted on: 2019/5/30 21:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have one of their casting and asked about the missing port but got no reply. A local machine shop put it in for me at no charge.

Incidentally, the reproduction casting looks good but does not have the Bendix or other logos, probably due to patent or copyright issues.

Posted on: 2021/5/19 12:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved