Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 107

DM37, 54packpac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

115 radiator bubbling and foaming
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JRPackard37
See User information
Hello Everyone,

Is it normal for a 1937 115 with a 1938 110 engine in it to have the radiator bubble and foam when looking into it with the radiator cap off? Everything else is great with the car but it does seem to bubble and foam especially when the gas is pressed down in neutral instead of idle. It almost will bubble over the open radiator cap with the engine revved in neutral. I know that the bigger water pump on the 38 pumps 36 gallons per minute. I read where the level in the radiator should be about 1.5 to 2 inches above the level of the tubes perhaps mine is a little to full? About half my index finger will be submerged if I stick it in the radiator. Was it normal for these cars to have some bubbling, foaming and turning of the radiator when the car is warm? should I be worried about a pressurized exhaust gas leak into the radiator fluid from the head gasket. No white exhaust smoke, the milky oil either.

I don't want to be an alarmist but I was just looking to better understand my car that I have had for 2 years.

Thanks

James

Posted on: 2019/6/4 21:43
 Top  Print 

Re: 115 radiator bubbling and foaming
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Maybe you might want to re-torque the head and see if this helps, because it sounds like the head gasket is leaking to me.
Wes

Posted on: 2019/6/5 0:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
James, I concur on the HG leaking. Not fatal, and not extraordinarily hard to replace. HG is on the way. Sent with the pans and Tmounts and a spare coil yesterday...my email database crashed, so I am in survival mode...
DAF

Posted on: 2019/6/5 7:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
ditto on the HG.

when i replaced mine, i forgot to re-torque and it was actually blowing coolant out so high it wasn't even funny.

Posted on: 2019/6/5 8:42
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JRPackard37
See User information
I will try to re torque the head first around 62 to 64 on the torque from what I have read. correct?

If I need to replace the HG should I replace the bolts, nut and washers or reuse them. They appear ok.

thanks

James

Posted on: 2019/6/5 11:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unless damaged, the cylinder head fasteners are meant to be reused.

Posted on: 2019/6/5 12:51
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JRPackard37
See User information
Thanks for all the advice. I checked the torque and the head bolts where lose. Some where only 40 to 50 so they are now all 63 and checked when the engine was warm after cooling down and now no more bubbling in the radiator 😄

Posted on: 2019/6/20 15:09
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved