Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 155

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Weatherstripping 1954 Clipper Deluxe
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Zyduck
See User information
I am struggling to find the right weather stipping for around the doors. The gap varies from under a quarter inch to about 1/2 inch so one seal doesn't do it. I have remnants of the old seal but I have not found anything that works well without either pressing the door out (too thick) or leaks by. I tried adjusting the door catch to pull the door in but it won't pull the thicker seal down. Not sure if it will relax over time but also don't want a permanent bow to the door either. Anyone have a pattern of what weather seal(s) worked for them? I have been trying products from metro molded metrommp.com as they are not too far away and have a good selection.
Appreciate any help.

Posted on: 2019/6/14 16:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Weatherstripping 1954 Clipper Deluxe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For the most part Packard used two weatherstrip profiles plus some special molded rubber on the 54 cars. They came in separate pieces and overlapped or were cemented together to form a seal. Except on the hardtop doors many of the same pieces were used on 55-6 cars. Steele has the molded pieces and here is one of Steele'shttps://www.steelerubber.com drawings that show the two main profiles and a rough sketch of where they went on the 55-6 front door. He does not have a comparable drawing for 54. You can also check out the 55-6 parts manuals which have better illustrations of the weatherstrip layout than the 51-4 book.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.49 KB)
209_5d041c070e332.jpg 1116X1392 px

Posted on: 2019/6/14 17:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It may require a door hinge adjustment to get the gaps more uniform.

Posted on: 2019/6/14 17:26
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Zyduck
See User information
Thanks much for the info on where to find some info on the right weather stripping.

I will look for some info on getting the door adjusted, I hadn't looked at doing this as it seemed to line up very well prior to replacement but that may be because the existing seals were so worn.

Appreciate the info!
Ducky

Posted on: 2019/6/15 6:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved