Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater valve Super Clipper 1947, how to find?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
please is there anybody who could explain me how to find the heater valve? My car has got heater radiator with fan to defrost windscreen, and a radiator with fan underneath driver seat. I wonder how the water circuit is opened and closed? I can not find any valve or switch. I guess something went lost over the decades? thank you very much in advance for your reply, best regards Josef

Posted on: 2019/6/17 7:13
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater valve Super Clipper 1947, how to find?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Until 48 when Packard first used an inside controlled thermostatic valve, heaters could be equipped with a manual valve located at the water outlet on the center of the head. In spring drivers would turn the valve off and in fall turn it on. If the car was not equipped with the valve then water circulated thru the cores year around and the only control was to close any outlets and not turn the fan on if no heat was wanted.

Here is a photo of a typical heater valve but there were different style valves used over the years.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.17 KB)
209_5d0791a0f33c2.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2019/6/17 8:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
Dear Howard, thank you. In understand now how it works. yes my car has got one tap like you show on your picture. it is fitted in the head. Ok i understand. open in winter, closed in summer. no chance to switch it from the cabin. thank you very much for your reply!! best regards, have a great day! Josef

Posted on: 2019/6/17 15:37
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There is a cable controlled valve that can be used to operate the flow of coolant through the heater core(s). It fits and connects like the one Howard pictured, and will require routing a choke-like cable from inside to operate. It provides variable flow. Any good auto supply store should have one or be able to order. Something to consider. JWL

Posted on: 2019/6/18 9:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved