Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 188

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

loud starter spinning noise
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Martin
See User information
The car started however when I turned the vehicle off, I can hear a constant spinning in the starter. pretty loud too, only stopped after disconnecting the battery cables... also I have an electric fuel pump... that was initially connected to the positive of the coil now doesn't work... any suggestions? Keep in mind this is after switching cables back to stock.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 20:44
 Top  Print   

Re: loud starter spinning noise
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sounds as if the wiring on your car is so messed up that it will be very difficult for much help online not knowing what's been done so we know where to point you. The starter motor spinning means either the solenoid has shorted or something else is shorted or starter switch bypassed or out of adjustment keeping the solenoid energized. Disconnect the starter switch at carb to rule out a problem with that. If it still spins, disconnect the small wire at center of solenid if you have the small bendix type. If the large square solenoid with lever that brings in the gear to mesh, then it is almost surely the solenoid contacts if the gear isn't trying to mesh.

The fuel pump should never have been on the coil terminal as it loads the voltage available to the coil. Would recommend going to the accessory terminal of ign switch or off the aux circuit breaker. Really sounds as if you are going to have to start with wiring diagram in hand and trace out almost everything.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
It sounds like you still have a wiring problem. If your wiring has gotten hot and burned the insulation, it could be that there is a short that allows a small amount of current to get to the starter even with the key turned off.
That would be my first point to check.
Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 21:02
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Martin
See User information
Man, that mechanic really tore me a new one on my electrical... I new their shouldn't have been any components connected to my coil. Work of a quick fix mechanic. Well, my generator was charging at some point with the cables placed negative ground will this affect the battery intenally if I reset the battery cables to positive ground?, I also re-polorized the generator with the cables switched back to stock. Also every now and then the electric fuel pump would cut out, and the vehicle wouldn't start for a couple minutes. Probably the wear and tear the electric fuel pump was putting on my coil (+). Thanks you guys for the tips and any more info is greatly appreciated

Posted on: 2009/2/1 21:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When you went to the mechanic, was that when the fuel pump was added? If so, the pump could be polarity sensitive and is neg ground. May be why things were reversed and if you have reversed back may be why not working now. Just a guess not knowing what all was done & when. Wouldn't explain the starter motor although as 49Packard pointed out I remember you mentioned something about a burned wire and is very possible something inside the loom was burned and is shorting.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Don't you just love the guys that say " last week I couldn't even spell MECHANIC now I are one??

Posted on: 2009/2/6 12:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Martin
See User information
Sorry guys, I'm havin a little bit of trouble with the wiring still and the diagram, When I look directly at my carburator (53 sedan) theirs two connectors one above and one below, One is for the starter I know that, however I'm not sure which is which, and I believe the wiring to my starter was switched the most by the mechanic.

Here's what the damage is like:
The small solenoid above the starter is connected to the carb (bottom). "bolted to the highest point of starter"

The side of the starter has these wires connected, one to the "batt" on regulator and two others connecting under the dash.

I think the problem maybe the solenoid on top of the starter connecting to the carb

Any help... PLEASE!!

Posted on: 2009/2/7 20:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What you describe sounds correct. Wire colors probably faded & hard to tell but the small terminal on top of the solenoid should be a green tinted wire going to the carb switch and the other terminal of carb switch should be yellow with red stripe and go to the ign switch.

The large terminal on solenoid should have the battery cable connected, a red wire going to bat terminal on regulator, another red with green stripe going under dash to a splice point going to several more places, and the other red wire on solenoid goes to horn relay.

If you disconnect the green wire going to the solenoid at either end, the motor should not spin. If it does, then the solenoid is bad.

EDIT I should have said disconnect green at solenoid and if it spins, solenoid bad. If disconnected at carb switch end and still spins, possible that wire is shorted to another.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 20:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved