Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

Vaughan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Paint Removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
At some point in the past 70 years, for reasons unknown, someone painted over the dash board in my 1282. Is there any way of removing this without destroying the "walnut grain" treatment underneath? The paint is old and flaky, and looks like the dickens. I can see the wood grain under it, which would look alot better, even if not mint. Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 13:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Paint Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
You could try oven cleaner. I would try it on a very small area, as it may well take off the wood graining as well.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 15:08
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As a chemist I'd say your chances are somewheres between extremely slim and none of removing the paint w/o affecting the woodgrain. I'd guess oven cleaner is far too agressive; you might try various dilutions of commercial paint strippers, but don't hold much hope. When you find the guy who painted over it, while you're giving him a few whacks for his stupidity, give him an extra for me.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 15:32
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You may also find that the graining was already bad in a few places and that is why it was painted over to start with.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 16:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Or perhaps the previous owner was trying to modernize the car. The wood grain look was out of fashion in the '50s automobiles, just as many of the great movie palaces from the 1920's lost their elaborate plasterwork in the 1950's.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 19:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
This may be a little off topic and it may not work on your problem. but I would like to endorse a great cleaner I've discovered. . . Krud Kutter. It works very well on stains, grease, grime, oil, tar and old wax. I recently used it on my enclosed trailer and it removed tons of old sins. I then applied a coat of Rejex, a wonderfully slick polish used primarily on airplanes. It makes bug removal a snap . . . just hose 'em off! My trailer looks like new again.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 22:37
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Thanks for the input guys. What ever the reason was, I think that just about anything is gonna look better that how it is now. I have a plan of using this stuff called Demon Clean, a fellow a couple towns over (Ansonia) is marketing. I have used it in the past to clean up delicate parts and what-not, as it is a bit pricey. I will do a test area first; a small swatch, wait for the bubble, and follow with a damp sponge to neutralize the action, hopefully before it starts eating into the wood grain. Worst case, I end up repainting it, anything would be better.

Posted on: 2009/2/3 11:04
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
When I was at the PI Meet there was a vendor there that does Woodgraining. His work was gorgeous. He even had a dash that was dividied into 3rds showing each stage of his work. He does alot for the museums in the LA area.

If you are intersted, I can dig up his card for you.

Posted on: 2009/2/3 14:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Thanks BigKev, there may be a point when I take you up on that. First, I am going to try with great diligence to completely ruin it here, I have everything to gain. I have attached a couple pics, so you can see what I'm up against. I would have actually tried a little bit tonite, but it's colder than a you-know-what out there, maybe if you look close you can see the swirling snow storm raging outside if you squint.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.77 KB)
1040_4988d1b0af2fd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.17 KB)
1040_4988d1c4dad82.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/2/3 18:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved