Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

BigKev, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

58L8134's '53 Clipper Deluxe - The Fun Begins
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Finally became "The Man Who Owns One", a drivable Packard at last! George did me an immense favor selling me a great car at a favorable price. There is no better group of old car collectors/enthusiasts than Packard people.

You've seen it before when it was for sale. Not to make anyone regretful, but you truly missed a good one! I thought I'd start a Project Blog even though it needs little. Now, the fun begins!

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (147.97 KB)
409_5d20abb30f7fa.jpg 1000X664 px

jpg  (141.87 KB)
409_5d20abff35dbb.jpg 1020X599 px

jpg  (147.88 KB)
409_5d20ac798e7d7.jpg 1000X643 px

Posted on: 2019/7/6 9:14
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Re: 58L8134's '53 Clipper Deluxe - The Fun Begins
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Steve (58L8134), let me be among the first to congratulate you.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.42 KB)
757_5d20f4feb9941.jpg 476X480 px

Posted on: 2019/7/6 14:22
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Guscha, that's very distracting, now I'm torn which pictures I ought to study more...

Posted on: 2019/7/6 18:07
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Thanks Guscha and Garrett

Though, not sure the Clipper is as 'busty' as Marilyn, the front bumper guards have already elicited comments about '50's cars being 'well endowed'.

Have you noticed the added stainless rocker moldings? They look like those on a '55 Clipper, both ends are finished. I like the way they look, think Packard should have started adding those to all upper series models before the '54 Patrician and '55 line.

The red top imparts a look more like a Clipper Sportster. Hmmm, a four door Sportster...there's a thought...

Steve

Posted on: 2019/7/7 9:46
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Drove the '53 Clipper to a local car show I first attended in 1967. A long-time friend parked his '52 Studebaker Commander next to me. We were doing our best to represent a Studebaker-Packard dealer lot. It's always a good time.

Now, if the all-original maroon '31 REO Royale sedan shown at the first time they held this meet would just reappear. Never have encountered it anywhere since.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (162.25 KB)
409_5d52d6513ff59.jpg 1000X606 px

jpg  (123.29 KB)
409_5d52d69ee85eb.jpg 989X621 px

Posted on: 2019/8/13 10:30
.....epigram time.....
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Well, '53 Clipper Deluxe is out of winter hibernation, though no where much to go except local drives. I was reminded of a problem I chased last year: leaky A-pillars.

In the rain or when washing, small amounts of water appears on either end of the dash, drips on the floor. Its not coming from above inside, it appears to well from between the glass and rubber seal, that seal is nice and tight. I've used black silicone seal on the outside down the A-pillar and corner to the wiper mounts, even below the lower windshield molding to the door. When I use a little blue food color up under the drip molding to see if it coming from above it leaves a track down the ends of the dash. Ideas? Thanks!

Steve

Posted on: 2020/7/6 16:34
.....epigram time.....
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might check the Packard Service Index linked in the left menu. In the 51-4 selection, body category, there are several articles on water leaks around the windshield and A pillar on models starting with the 51s and continuing thru the 53s. Possibly the sealant used in one of those areas or one of the weatherstrips called out has deteriorated.

Posted on: 2020/7/6 18:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Thanks Howard, I should have thought of the Service Index. The Mayfair had leakage problems from the outset, then for 1953, the sedans were changed to the same windshield/A-pillar configuration. It suggests sealing the space between the drip molding and the top stainless trim. We'll try it, hope it does the job. Otherwise, the sedan body seems to be very water-tight, at least from above.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/7/9 12:06
.....epigram time.....
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Never had a single leak in my own 1953 Clipper Deluxe sedan but for those with convertibles that leak, and presuming there is at least one rubber seal involved, one of the best rubber treatment products I've ever used is from Germany and is called Gummi Pflegestift.

It can be found on Amazon and don't let the name intimidate you, it simply means Rubber Treatment Stick and comes in a applicator-type container so doesn't need any brushes or tools to use it. We apply it from time to time to the header seal of our VW EOS (retractable hardtop) and it stopped leaks that even the dealer couldn't fix.

Posted on: 2020/7/9 13:33
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved