Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 80

Packard Don, Bob J, J-Dreamer, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Shock absorbers on torsion level cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
A follow-up on shock absorbers for the '55: I finally replaced mine with good results.

For rear I used the KYB Excel-G 343042 which has extended length of 24.49", compressed length of 15.35", for a 9.13" stroke. Upper mount is stud (S1) and lower eye ring (E1).
(Alternative rear is the Gabriel 82066 which has extended length of 22.7", compressed length of 13.34", for a 9.36" stroke.)

For front, which is where the '55 is unique, I used the AC Delco Advantage 520-284 which near as I can tell is actually made by and identical to the Gabriel 82026. It has extended length of 13.42", compressed length of 8.56", for a 4.86" stroke. Upper and lower mounts are stud (S1).

Compression damping is relatively light in these shocks, with heavier rebound damping. This gives more responsive action with torsion bar suspension, allowing the suspension to absorb and transmit the shock to the other end of the bar rather than convey it to the corner of the vehicle it was received.

I can attest that the old stud shocks are not easy to remove once rusted as it's difficult to remove the nut while keeping the stud from spinning in very cramped quarters. That's the most difficult part of the job. Installation is easy, but removal of the upper studs all the way around is a bear.

The ride is improved as the old shocks had very little damping left and the wheels would hop following a sharp bump. Although occupants couldn't really feel it happening, you could hear it. They no longer do that and I expect traction and control is thus improved.

Posted on: 2022/10/30 18:22
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved