Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

Daniel Leininger, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic overfilling
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
My 1950 Packard Deluxe 8 with Ultramatic has a funny problem. Although the car runs fine the automatic transmission created a big puddle of fluid on my driveway after I parked it. I could not see a source for the leak so I moved it 100 feet to a clean flat part of the concrete paving. It never dripped a drop. I let it sit for a day and then moved it back to the original parking place. It did not leak.

The only thing I can consider is that my mechanic overfilled the transmission when he worked on the car and that made the fluid leak out until it was at the proper level. Does anyone have an idea about this?

Posted on: 2019/7/25 12:32
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic overfilling
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
IMO the obvious first thing to do would be to check the fluid level, that's what the transmission dip stick is for. It if was substantially overfilled, some of it probably spilled out of the vent but it will not necessarily spill out until it reaches the correct level. The procedure for checking the fluid level is in the shop manual, perhaps also in the owner's manual.

Was the transmission serviced just prior to seeing the spill?

Posted on: 2019/7/25 13:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved