Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear backup light '38 Senior
Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
I just got a Packard script backup light and was trying to figure the activation switch and the mounting bracket.

I assume the switch works off the shift housing, probably off a rod. The bracket I assume is off the drivers (left) rear bumper bracket. I think it would be easy to fabricate if I knew what it looked like.

Anyone have a photo of either?

Thanks

Bill

Posted on: 2019/7/25 12:47
 Top  Print 

Re: Rear backup light '38 Senior
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The switch is illustrated for earlier years in the senior parts book, I assume 1938 senior is the same or similar, as the transmission is the same. If so, the switch is bolted to the rear of the trans and activated when the 1st/reverse shifter rail moves rearward to engage reverse. I'll post a scan later if you still can't locate it.

PS - if you look in the Super 8 section of the 1937/1938 Shop Manual, the view of the transmission shows the switch exactly as described above.

Posted on: 2019/7/25 13:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
Thanks for the help. Super 8 Transmissions are covered on pages 102 thru 105. I have the short version of the Manual. I don't see anything like what you mentioned. Is it only in the unabridged version?

Posted on: 2019/7/26 15:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wow, something new I've learned! I never knew there were both an abridged and unabridged form of the 37/38 shop manual and I don't know which I have but the Super 8 section is on pages 84 thru 117 and the trans is pictured on page 106.

I still think that's the switch at the rear of the rail, same as 1936 and earlier seniors, though the backup light was both standard equipment and conceptually different in those '36 and prior years. Rather than provide illumination for vision, the senior car backing light in the earlier years just activated the brake lights, more to give warning that the car was about to back up than to provide lighting.

Posted on: 2019/7/26 15:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
My book is 3/8" softbound (paper)repro. I think the original one had many more pages.

Posted on: 2019/7/27 6:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
My page 106 is titled, Overdrive Unit and has sections 252 Dash control and 253 removal.

Posted on: 2019/7/27 6:53
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved