Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 64

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Brake light switch replacement on torsion bar car
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Owen- If you still have the conversion please provide a price and mailing address/
the unit from Meritt has a switch but requires cutting original wires and splicing new connectors/Preder not to do that/
Thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2019/8/5 12:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I had an agreed deal with someone else but have not heard back from them again since. So I'll give them 1 more day and if they are still silent, I'll PM you tomorrow with the details. I hope that's OK with you, trying to be fair all the way around.

Posted on: 2019/8/5 13:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
That's fine. I have an NOS switch and the Merrit conversion. Would prefer not to install the new switch or to cut the wires.
Let me know.
Thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2019/8/5 15:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
RJR, sorry but the original deal came in so it's no longer available from me. But it is still available from P.N.R.

Posted on: 2019/8/6 15:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
No problem. My car seemed to self correct yesterday and I have replacements if it acts up.
Thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2019/8/6 16:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
The PNR switch kit is an excellent idea for someone who wants a ready made drop in item and has no time to spare or would rather not get too much into electrical things.

There is a completely manual switch mod operated by the brake pedal arm that can also be installed but due to the way Packard changed the pedals between 55 and 56 that mod is easier done on 56 models.

Here is an easy to make 2 terminal brake switch conversion for anyone who wants to spend a few minutes time and just a few dollars worth of parts. The 2 terminal brake switch would be the most expensive part needed and can be picked up locally. Suitable 5 terminal inexpensive relays are also available at many local parts stores or the relays and sockets are all over ebay and Amazon. Aside from the brake switch and relay, the other items suggested are for convenience, not necessity.

Note: This diagram has been posted before and is correct but on todays repost I made a quick and stupid change without thinking it thru. Anyone that might have downloaded todays posted diagram before 11AM PDT on 7/31/19 please disregard any relay connection that was shown between terminal 85 and 87. That connection was a mistake and if those terminals are connected would result in the relay self latching and always be energized after the first application of brakes.

Howard, just reviewing this installation.......
So No. 87 does not get used?
Do you just terminate the connection or remove the wire ?
I just ask as I am educating myself as to wiring

Thanks

Sean

Posted on: 2021/2/7 13:15
1956 Packard Executive 2 door hard top (5677A)
1956 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5622)(parts car)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are two ways of making the circuit work. One which I believe is incorporated in one of the kits is to only have the brake switch control the relay and the relay in turn will do both functions -- powering the brake light and simultaneously disconnecting the TL switch. In that instance 87 will be used and would go to the brake lights.

I personally did not like relying on two switches to work the brake lights so the diagram I shared uses the brake switch alone to power the brake lights and as an added function, turn on the relay. The brake switch is designed for providing the light function and with the relay having only a minimal extra draw the switch can easily handle it. With the relay function limited to disconnecting power to the TL switch a relay issue will not result in a brake light failure and if TL is not disconnected with brakes on it is not as serious an issue to contend with. If the brake switch fails that is another matter but the reason why this conversion is being done in the first place. In this case 87 is not used but will be hot when brakes are applied. If wanted, a piece of heat shrink or tape can cover the terminal to prevent something from accidentally touching it. While not typical practice, to keep 87 from ever seeing voltage the connections to 30 and 87a could be reversed. If reversed, once the relay operated 87a would see the constant 12v but it could not be passed on to 87 and would still go to the TL switch when the relay was relaxed.

Here is diagram again -- without the stupid mistake with 87 that I quickly made when doing the original posting.

Attach file:

jpg  Brake Switch Relay Replacement.jpg (63.65 KB)
209_60204342525d7.jpg 1079X800 px

Posted on: 2021/2/7 14:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
Thanks so much Howard! Please bare with my naivety one more time

So 87 can be terminated in some fashion,
86 gets grounded to the car
And 30 gets spiced with the purple or pink wire and installed on the switch

I got that right?

Posted on: 2021/2/7 18:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your statements are correct. If you wanted to get a few terminals and a length of 16ga wire from the parts store you could make up a small loom so everything would just plug in the old factory 3 terminal brake switch plug on one end and the new relay and brake switch on the other. In the diagram posted below I show the colors in the factory loom but you could use all one color as long as they are marked properly so nothing gets confused.

For the terminals, the .156 bullet connector is one of two or three sizes available but is a standard diameter and should be available at almost all places that sell terminals. Some may be labeled slightly differently by one or two thousandths but still the same. Those labeled Ford are too big and there is another size that is way too small to use on the brake sw or the factory plug. The .250 female quick disconnect terminal is also a standard size. You may not find one fully insulated like I show but a bit of heat shrink tubing over the bare end takes care of that. As I mentioned in the other post if you did not want to worry about insulating terminal 87 just reverse the wires going to 30 and 87a connections at the relay. The exposed 87 terminal would never see power if that is done.

Here is the drawing to make up a small connector piece. Wire lengths would be determined by where you decide to position things.

Attach file:

jpg  added brake sw loom.jpg (58.64 KB)
209_6020b53e9e25a.jpg 1200X900 px

Posted on: 2021/2/7 22:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
THANK YOU SO MUCH for making this very clear for the electrical novice that I am.
Very much appreciate your help

Sean

Posted on: 2021/2/7 23:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved