Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Brake light switch replacement on torsion bar car
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I know I have read several posts on this issue but they are not coming up on the search function.
The 55 Caribbean has a three prong brake light switch located on a block on the frame near the steering box. This switch controls not only the brake lights but powers the torsion leveling.
When the switch fails, the brake lights remain on and the torsion leveling will/may not work.
I had this problem when I was assembling the car and acquired a new switch from Merritt and all was well.
The brake lights are again remaining on which suggests the same problem.
A quick check on eBay discloses a new switch with three prong for over $100. It was late so I did not check price with Max or Kanter

I recall seeing at least one post about replacing the switch with an over the counter 2 prong switch...I think from a VW and details on wiring.

If someone could direct me to the post( s) detailing the replacement switch and the revised wiring, I would be grateful
thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2019/7/31 3:15
 Top  Print 

Re: Brake light switch replacement on torsion bar car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Here's one thread mentioning the VW switch.

Posted on: 2019/7/31 3:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Thanks....I saw that one but believe there was an earlier post with more detail on a two prong switch and wiring change.
I will keep digging back but there are a lot of posts...thank heaven.

Posted on: 2019/7/31 3:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PNR sells that nice little kit for the 55/56 cars, a new 2-prong switch, a relay, and a little wiring harness. Very inexpensive, very easy to install, and performs excellently.

Posted on: 2019/7/31 7:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The PNR switch kit is an excellent idea for someone who wants a ready made drop in item and has no time to spare or would rather not get too much into electrical things.

There is a completely manual switch mod operated by the brake pedal arm that can also be installed but due to the way Packard changed the pedals between 55 and 56 that mod is easier done on 56 models.

Here is an easy to make 2 terminal brake switch conversion for anyone who wants to spend a few minutes time and just a few dollars worth of parts. The 2 terminal brake switch would be the most expensive part needed and can be picked up locally. Suitable 5 terminal inexpensive relays are also available at many local parts stores or the relays and sockets are all over ebay and Amazon. Aside from the brake switch and relay, the other items suggested are for convenience, not necessity.

Note: This diagram has been posted before and is correct but on todays repost I made a quick and stupid change without thinking it thru. Anyone that might have downloaded todays posted diagram before 11AM PDT on 7/31/19 please disregard any relay connection that was shown between terminal 85 and 87. That connection was a mistake and if those terminals are connected would result in the relay self latching and always be energized after the first application of brakes.

Attach file:

jpeg  (56.48 KB)
209_5d41d79e3e9f2.jpeg 1079X709 px

Posted on: 2019/7/31 8:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Thanks again guys. Will do some checking on wires and connections before buying a kit to convert to two prong . Still stunned that a replacement 3 prong switch is selling for so much.
R JR

Posted on: 2019/7/31 19:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's the PNR kit. I no longer have need for the one I have on the shelf, if you're interested in it at a discounted price, send me a PM.

Dave

Attach file:

jpg  (103.82 KB)
177_5d42e96e30d9b.jpg 1111X1054 px

Posted on: 2019/8/1 8:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I,spoke to Max Merritt today. They offer a three prong switch with an adapter to connect the existing wires to the new switch which has spear connectors. They were unable to advise what kind of switch was involved.

I ordered the conversion since it was $40 but am curious as to the switch that will ne included.

In light of Ross' comment on the possible problems with VW switched, I hope that someone else has ordered the same kit and how it has worked..
Would also like to know if the switch is something generally available at NaPA or other usual suppliers
Thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2019/8/1 21:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe NAPA/Echlin SL-134 is what's used in the PNR kits, and is also the correct service replacement for most Packards 1935-1954.

Posted on: 2019/8/1 21:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Owen -- Thanks for the offer. Wish I had waited to call Max.
Appreciate the info on the replacement switch.
It seems that the Caribbean is trying to stay in the garage. I had Ross rebuild the power steering cylinder and just got it installed when the right rear tire went flat....pinhole in the sidewall of an American Classic radial with less than 700 miles. Ordered a new tire and when I started the car I noticed the brake lights stayed on.
Hopefully the replacement will take care of that problem and allow me to drive the car a bit before the snow returns.
With a little luck the weather will allow me to drive the car to Hershey.
Stay well
RJR

Posted on: 2019/8/2 9:19
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved