Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Pump Conversion
Just popping in
Just popping in

Karl
See User information
Hello, today i begin with the conversion to the Olds Oil Pump in my 56 Patrician. The Melling Pump comes with 2 Relief Valve Spring, one like the O.E. Design, one for a higher pressure (+10 PSI).
Should put in the Spring for the higher Pressure or the O.E. Style?

Regards
Karl

Posted on: 2019/8/13 11:43
1956 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil Pump Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Karl,

If your engine is sound, the installed spring should be OK.
If your engine is worn, you may need the optional spring. It is easier to change oil weights than oil pump springs.

Whichever, install the pump per instructions and verify there is free play, that is the drive shaft can be moved up and down slightly; 1/8" is enough. If there is no free play, grind 1/8"-1/4" off the bottom of the drive shaft.

Usually, no adjustment is necessary, but with the hundreds sold, we've found one or two that were too tight. It seems with the Delco and Autolite distributors, gaskets under the distributor and no gasket, there are variations.

jack vines

Posted on: 2019/8/13 15:17
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil Pump Conversion
Just popping in
Just popping in

Karl
See User information
Hi Jack,

thank you for the information, i will look for the free play. I think my Engine is in good Condition, it has 47k Mls on Clock. It runs good, but when the engine is hot come and go clutter from the Valve Lifers. I installed new Lifters, but the same.

Karl

Posted on: 2019/8/13 15:32
1956 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved