Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

Packard Newbie, 64avanti, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New Repro Windscreen with Steele Gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
After doing some digging through old forum posts, it looks like I'm encountering a problem that others have run into with their 55-56 non-convertibles.

I have a '55 400 and the new blue tinted windscreen (the old was cracked) is 1/8" shorter and the Steele gasket is 1/8" narrower, adding up to a 1/4" gap all the way around. My car is at the installer shop and after disassembling he says he can't work with it.

Anyone have a solution? Does anyone other than Steele make a reproduction gasket?

Posted on: 2019/9/30 14:54
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: New Repro Windscreen with Steele Gasket
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As far as I know Steele is the only option but you might ask Kanter just in case. I believe Fred mentioned at one time that they have some pieces made by someone other than Steele but don't believe the WS weatherstrip was one of them.

I remember Cli55er had some problems with his back glass along the same lines but don't recall if he did anything to compensate. He might see this and answer but if not, perhaps a PM to him would get some info on what he might have done..

On your windshield, does it fit at the sides but have the gap at the top? If so someone possibly holding the glass in position so it is raised to the top of the opening while someone adds in the extra supports Packard mentions in TB55-10 along the bottom might help. I suspect Steele's gasket possibly being made of softer rubber may be exhibiting some of the same issues as the early 55 gaskets.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/55T-10.pdf

If the overall dimensions are short because of the glass being 1/8" smaller or the extra supports have already been tried then I would think about the only thing possible would be to add in some kind of extension piece on the pinch weld to take up part of the gap.

Posted on: 2019/9/30 15:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rebus, have you approached the maker to see if they are willing to correct their apparent error and produce a correctly sized windshield? I think it's going to prove very difficult to get a satisfactory installation of an undersized piece.

Posted on: 2019/9/30 15:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Kanter says their gaskets are made by Steele. I got mine through Max Merritt but it's the same part number.

Where would one find those retainers? I imagine they are unavailable now.

Posted on: 2019/9/30 18:12
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If your car never had them installed and no one on the forum has any to offer possibly Kanter would have them by part number. If not, maybe you could get in touch with Mike Dulinski. He might not know what they look like but sending him a copy or referring him to the bulletin that he could view or download he could probably identify and remove a set from one of his many parts cars. If you still can't find them a reasonable substitute could probably be made from a scrap of 16ga sheet metal.

Posted on: 2019/9/30 18:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Max Merritt had some repo clips in stock that they apparently had made some time ago. They are on their way here.

Posted on: 2019/10/4 12:40
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved