Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 137

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Packard-to-Olds oil pump conversion comments??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Not to drift off-subject, but I turned to the aftermarket, today, for a high-volume pump for a Chevy 4.3L V6. Sealed Power was their supplier, but while the part number on the box was of their own convention, the pump body had a casting number that appeared to follow the same general format as Melling's high-vloume pump for the Olds V8 - that is M...HV.

As such, I suspect that Melling manufacturers and sell their pumps under their own label, but also wholesales them to other suppliers for resale under their own brand names.

However, anyone installing this conversion should compare the pump they acquire (locally) to the image that Eric provided above to ensure they hav the right thing.

Posted on: 2007/6/13 21:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Melling oil pump comments??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Some confusion appears to have arisen from the comment that someone did not have to shave or rework the oil pan.

When I purchased my pump, I was also advised that:

Quote:
You need to modify:
Grind slightly at oil pan corner shown on attached JPG, if necessary.
Cut off approx 1-1/2 of dipstick tube (intefers with Olds pickup)

Perhaps no changes have been made WRT to pan interference, but grinding of the pump body may simply not be needed in every case.

Posted on: 2007/6/13 21:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Not the dip stick tube but rather the dip stick ITSELF. If i remeber rite i had to cut off only 1/2 inch (not 1-1/2) from the STICK only. HOWEVER, that also needs to be done with the PACKARD FACTORY STOCK pump as well.

Posted on: 2007/6/13 22:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Keith, It DOES mean something in the context of discussing the replacement of the Packard oil pump. Everyone interested in this problem knows what it means. Talking about different pumps and which one we are referring to only muddies the waters. When I say 56 400 everyone knows what I mean - I don't have to say model 5687 Packard 400 hardtop which is missing the B pillar every time I refer to my car. Whoops, I called it a car and everyone who knows me knows that I always refer to it as an automobile. It is not just a car. My Caribbean was supposed to be delivered this evening - they haven't gotten here and now my cellphone has gone on the fritz. I knew all my good luck couldn't last.

Posted on: 2007/6/13 22:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Keith, why would you need to cut off the dipstick for a Packard factory pump, or did I misunderstand you?

Posted on: 2007/6/19 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Randy. U DID understand correctly. On two different engines, BOTH stock with FACTORY PACKARD oil pump i VISUALY discovered that the stock Packard dip stick set up caused the dip stick to hit either the top of the float or the rolled seamed flsnge on the side .
On a very quiet nite, pull the dip stick up on your car and slide it back down into place and listen closely. U will hear a 'clink' or tic sound when it hits.

Posted on: 2007/6/19 20:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Randy -

I suspect that Keith has also verified using the two-piece oil pan came up with.

Posted on: 2007/6/19 21:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved