Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Help ID hood and ornament. Clipper?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

signsup
See User information
Starting to research our 47 Clipper restomod that we will do as a 42 Clipper military staff car. The hood that is on it, I believe to be correct has no hood ornament, but 4 rectangular square notches in the hood for one to go. Looks like to holes for a trim strip up the center of the hood.
The extra hood that was given to us with this car, when laid on the hood opening is about 6" longer that the 47 Clipper, but the same width and shape, so close. It has this hood ornament on it.

The hood is in good shape as is the hood ornament, but I can't make it available for sale or trade until I know what it is from.

And, I Google a 47 Clipper hood ornament, but can't come across a nice photo of just the ornament so I know what to look for to complete my hood.

Any direction greatly appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.84 KB)
200179_5db4ee9c76958.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2019/10/26 20:11
 Top  Print 

Re: Help ID hood and ornament. Clipper?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are a couple of photos showing prewar ornaments and the hood strip. Click on the photos to enlarge

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=4294

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=5520

And a couple showing the postwar ornament. No hood strip on postwar Clippers

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=9396

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=13349

You can go thru the photos in the photo archive for some more photos that might have some better views. Bodies were all the same so the difference in wheelbase was ahead of the cowl. The longer hood would be for a 127" wheelbase car.

Posted on: 2019/10/26 20:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

signsup
See User information
Hmmmm....
I'll have to go out in the morning and take a photo of this hood. It is identical in shape to my 47 Cliper, but longer and has the hood ornament shown above.
If I understand 127" wheelbase cars, it was 1951 and later 300 series which has a hood very unlike the early 21 series Clippers.
I'll post a photo in the morning.

Thank you for the links.

Posted on: 2019/10/26 21:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Basic Clipper bodies were the same from 41-47. The major difference was in grill and some chrome trim such as the hood strip and ornament plus slightly different parking and tail light bezels on the prewar cars. Dash was the major visible change between 41 and 42. The 42 dash carried thru to 46-7 as did the bodies. The postwar vertical part of the grill changed to the wide spacing and hood had a different hood ornament and was minus the strip. The silk screening on the postwar instrument faces changed to a finer and more refined less blocky font than the 42 version. The postwar speedo lost the color changing needle but all 42-7 Clipper instruments and switches will fit and work -- just look different if interchange is between pre and postwar.

The hood and fenders were the same shape for all models thruout those years but the fenders and hood were shorter on the 120" wheelbase cars because of the wheelbase differences being reflected in front of the cowl. The 48-50 cars were a heavy facelift of the 41-7 Clipper bodies and some of the unseen body and mechanical parts will interchange. Not too much that is visible will and those few pieces that might bolt in will be obvious. Wheelbase difference on those models was also in front of the cowl so again the short and long fenders and hood.

In 51 the bodies changed completely and I don't believe there is much if anything in the body that will interchange with the pre 51 models. Wheelbase difference was now reflected in the body with the extra length placed just ahead of the rear seat instead of in the fenders and hood. Almost all of the 51-4 body pieces will interchange over those years as long as the wheelbase is taken into account but trim and model details will obviously be different.

Posted on: 2019/10/26 21:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

signsup
See User information
The hood and fenders were the same shape for all models thruout those years but the fenders and hood were shorter on the 120" wheelbase cars because of the wheelbase differences

So, was there a difference in the pre war Clipper and the post war Clipper in wheelbase? Is the longer hood I have as a spare a possible 42 Clipper and the actual car is a 47 Clipper and the hoods will not interchange.

I'm not trying to fool anyone after restoration, we are leaving the original data tags, but we have a 42 grill that will bolt right on and if the only visual difference on the hood is the center trim strip and hood ornament, maybe we can make the 47 hood resemble the 42. Or, is this longer spare od with the hood ornament shown above an entirely different model? pics to follow.

Posted on: 2019/10/27 10:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Both prewar and postwar Clipper sedans of the 20th and 21st series came in two wheelbases, 120" for the junior models and 127" for the senior models. Sounds like your car is a junior and your spare hood is from a senior.

Posted on: 2019/10/27 10:54
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

signsup
See User information
Makes sense, now. Oh, well...presume Ike's staff would have ordered him one off the assembly line rather than a buy back off the lot and would have gone for the longer wheelbase, but we got what we got and we'll use it. Perhaps Ike's staff would have thought the shorter wheelbase was more practical on narrow, winding British roads? Well, that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

So, presuming the two hoods for two different wheelbases of the same model would have had different hood ornaments. The one I have pictured above will not fit correctly on the short hood, even if I added the trim strip down the middle. The curve at the nose is different and the mounting holes are different.
So need to find correct hood ornament for short hood 42 if it will fit the short hood 47 mounting holes.

Here are the promised pics of what I have. Thanks for the info so far.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.17 KB)
200179_5db5dbdf3340e.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (25.82 KB)
200179_5db5dbfd6b0a2.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (24.84 KB)
200179_5db5dc190d433.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2019/10/27 13:04
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved