Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 143

BigKev, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Former PMCC man who made Predictor scale model has passed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Hello All,

It is with deep sadness that I have to report to you my friend and former Packard Motor Car Company man, Tom Beaubien has passed. Tom left us on August 15, 2019 in Southern California.

Tom was a good friend for many years. Ironically we once worked together for Mazda Corporation where Tom was Manager of Design for Mazda (North America) R&D division. Tom and I sometimes ate lunch together over the many years we worked for Mazda. During those lunches we spent many hours talking about the world behind the scenes at Packard in the 1950s.

For those Packard fans who might not know, Tom worked in Detroit for Packard Styling during the mid-1950s. There he was one of two precision modelers who actually built the original large scale model of Predictor. It was this model that was sent to Ghia in Italy in order to make the actual full-sized Packard Predictor concept car. Photos of this model are in my book on Creative Industries of Detroit.

Tom was also on hand at East Grand Boulevard when the Predictor first arrived back in Detroit from Europe. Tom filmed the uncrating of Predictor at Packard headquarters and allowed me to resurrect the film. I interviewed Tom for my history of the Packard Predictor that appeared in The Packard Cormorant magazine several years ago. You can read his words in that article.

Although he was quite modest about it, Tom's family was was of key importance in the formative years of the city of Detroit. One of the main thoroughfares in Detroit indeed carries his family name to this day. Tom had a deep appreciation and understanding of beauty in design, whether it be art, architecture, aircraft or automotive.

Tom was born on January 7, 1930 in Detroit, Michigan. He is survived by his wife, Marjorie and three daughters. Tom didn't want a funeral and requested simply to be cremated. His ashes will be spread later this year at sea.

He was a fine gentleman and I shall miss him a lot. I was lucky to even know him.

Tom also built this large scale model 1957 Four Hundred for Packard. It had working Torsion-Level suspension and steering. Most people today think it was a real car...

Attach file:

jpg  (11.37 KB)
1249_5dc1bb9ced9a0.jpg 350X183 px

Posted on: 2019/11/5 10:53
 Top  Print 

Re: Former PMCC man who made Predictor scale model has passed
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Sorry to hear the loss of your friend. He sounded like a great guy to talk with, and saw and participated in a lot of Automotive history being made.

Godspeed.

Posted on: 2019/11/5 14:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
May he rest in Peace. Certainly a storied Detroit name.

Posted on: 2019/11/5 15:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
RIP Mr.Beaubien, Your good work for Packard will never be forgotten. We'll all richer for your talents and skills.

My condolences Leon, loss of a good friend is always difficult, take comfort in the years of friendship you got to enjoy with Tom.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/11/5 16:19
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thank you Leeedy for keeping us informed. We appreciate it.

Posted on: 2019/11/6 2:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yes, thanks Leeedy. Sincere condolences to family and friends. These obit notices of prominent Packard men are always sad to read, but also extraordinary to see their life accomplishments and affiliations. We're all richer for the positive footprint they left behind. Respectfully, Chris Goodfellow.

Posted on: 2019/11/6 12:04
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved