Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 150

Ozstatman, DavidM, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Speedometer cable
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Another in a long line of questions-

I took the 37 out of the garage last weekend for the first time since I got it shipped to me last year and drove it around the block a few times. The most noticeable thing was a whining sound that eventually went away. It reminded me that it always made that noise for the last several years when I would move it the short distance from the storage garage to my parent's garage to just put some movement into it and for a few of those years during that short drive the speedometer needle would bounce all over the place. The last couple of years when I would move the car, the bouncing stopped and maintained a steady reading but the whine would still be there. Also, while my father was alive it made that noise for a couple of miles and did the needle bouncing then return to a steady reading and he said it was that the speedometer cable needed to be lubed. It would eventually go away then too.

My question is, how should I lube the cable? There is a speedometer cable discussion in the forums when I searched, but it is for a 40's something speedometer cable issue and indicates removal of the dash to get to a lube hole. Is that the same for a 1937 Junior?

Posted on: 2019/11/9 8:06
 Top  Print 

Re: Speedometer cable
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
On many speedometers there is a small hole at the connection where the cable screws on to the speedometer. This is made to put a few drops of oil in to help lube the speedometer itself.

With the cable housing unscrewed from the speedometer you can remove the cable from the housing and lube it as you reinsert it back into housing. Not sure what they recommend for lubing it with. We use to use Lubriplate on the cable.

Posted on: 2019/11/9 9:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
That's interesting John - how visible is the hole?? Does one need to have the speedometer out to see it? It's difficult to see 'up there' under the dash, never mind 'get' up there to deliver some lubricant. Re the noise itself, I had it explained to me (for generic speedometers, anyway) that the cable is spiral-wound spring steel and with age, little 'hairs' of the spring steel start to 'unwind' and they catch on the inside of the speedo cable, causing the needle to bounce and fluctuate as well as make noise. Again, only going on past advice, I'm told that wet lubricant is not advisable as it collects dirt over time and can worsen the problem, and that either powdered graphite, or graphite suspended in a solvent that will dry up after the lubricating powder is 'delivered', is the best solution/approach. I'm sure lots of folks who have been here before on this issue, with Packards, will have some input. My car has the same problem and before I started pulling things apart, I was going to post on the problem - Cartrich did it first! Chris.
Edit: Sorry John, I thought you said 'my car'

Posted on: 2019/11/9 12:46
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I have an old service book that they said to use speedometer lubricate, whatever that was??

Posted on: 2019/11/9 18:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My old high school auto shop teacher always recommended "white grease" as in the original Lubriplate for the cable (none on the last inch or two at the upper end) and nothing heavier than "3-in-1" for the bushing, and better yet, light clock or watch oil. His shop was one of the few locally that did speedometer/odometer service so I assume his recommendation was based on actual experience. That combination has always worked well for me.

Posted on: 2019/11/9 18:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks for the input Dave; I guess 'wet' lubricant IS okay. What is 'the bushing? and which end would one undo to remove the inner cable? Chris

Posted on: 2019/11/9 19:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The bushing is at the drive input of the speedometer mechanism. Re the cable removal, what year/model vehicle are we asking about? Some prewar seniors had to be removed from below, almost all others (later cars) from either end.

Wet lubricant no doubt OK, though I sort of cringe at the prospect, my local mechanic uses gear oil and apparently without problems.

Posted on: 2019/11/9 19:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
I second the e advice to lube the input shaft. Pop out the small brass plug, consider pulling out the felt reservoir wick for cleaning.

If the unit is squealing,or needle is bouncing, very critical to lubricate. The internal worm gears that drive the odometer could also be causing the problem. These use a light grease.

Pat,
Packard owner,
Owner, Bill's Speedometer Shop

Posted on: 2019/11/9 21:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
I second the e advice to lube the input shaft. Pop out the small brass plug, consider pulling out the felt reservoir wick for cleaning.

If the unit is squealing,or needle is bouncing, very critical to lubricate. The internal worm gears that drive the odometer could also be causing the problem. These use a light grease.

Pat,
Packard owner,
Owner, Bill's Speedometer Shop

Posted on: 2019/11/9 21:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Dave, this started out with an inquiry involving a '37 junior car and I responded thinking my '39 junior car would be the same or very similar. I'm presuming replacement cables are unavailable?? P.S. Not trying to argue with anybody here, but I still like dry graphite for a lubricating agent. To my recollection, new assemblies (inner and outer casings) are not 'wet' out of the box and grease will eventually accumulate contaminants. Thin oil on the speedo head sure sounds like a good idea though. Chris.

Posted on: 2019/11/10 14:26
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved