Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 173

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Speedometer cable
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Thanks for that P Newbie. And thanks also to all who have been sharing their knowledge and experience on this issue. That should make the task much easier for a novice like me when I get to the point of crawling under there. To be 60 lbs lighter and 15 years younger would be a big help too, but that's on me

As an aside to this conversation, I am going to make an attempt to drive to The Florida Packard Club meet here in town on Sunday. It's only a few miles from where the car is kept. On my last two forays around the block, the speedometer has not bounced but the cable has made noise as it has for a long time. I only hope I don't go out for a ride and back for a tow...

Posted on: 2019/11/12 23:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Good luck on your foray out to the club meet Cartrich. Might not be a bad idea to just reach up under the dash and undo the speedo cable coupling and pull it out of the gauge. As Pat, the repair gentleman says, it will eliminate any further damage to the mechanism and gears.
Quote:
To be 60 lbs lighter and 15 years younger would be a big help too,
You're describing me here, so a) I feel your pain and b) if I can do it, you can too!! LOL Chris.

Posted on: 2019/11/13 2:13
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
All,
Chris gave me permission to show some of the repair of his 39 Six Stewart Warner speedometer.

This unit was a good example of needing cleaning and lubrication. Very good original unit.

Cleaning: Removing the old, crusty gear grease and bearing oil is always a given. What most people are not aware of is the tendency of the spinning magnet (cylindrical in the case of Chris' Stewart Warner) to attract metal debris (see photo). If large or thick enough, the debris then begins to contact the speed cup, whose shaft is directly connected to the speed pointer (or in older cars the rotating speed indicator, ala pre-30's Packards and other makes). The contact of the rotating debris then clutches with and drags the pointer to either full scale or bouncing.
As I stated prior in this post thread, hardened grease and oil can also cause needle bounce. Notice the before photo of the dirty mainshaft oil wick. Also, all the tan areas on the frame are the dried residue of oil and grease.

Lubricating: I use silicone based grease and oil so that the final unit should last longer than any of us. Not only does this make the needle pointer more steady, but makes the unit quieter and puts a much lower load on the drive cable and transmission driven gear, for long lasting service.

I hope this helps to explain the process.
Pat

Attach file:

jpg  (184.90 KB)
1898_5ddfe65b1741d.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (167.95 KB)
1898_5ddfe674cd290.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (203.21 KB)
1898_5ddfe68d8c1e4.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (159.37 KB)
1898_5ddfe6a3b0da9.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (29.97 KB)
1898_5ddfe6b9e00ad.jpg 697X314 px

jpg  (197.74 KB)
1898_5ddfe72fbdc34.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (237.84 KB)
1898_5ddfe9278953d.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/11/28 10:35
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved