Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 31 Stuck Engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Greenfield wrote: I haven't tried to turn the engine counterclockwise yet. I have to make a contraption to fit over the crank dog bolt to turn counterclockwise. The starting handle is engineered to go clockwise only.

Or, could you remove the starter motor. And use a BIG screwdriver, tyre lever or such, to lever the flywheel ring gear in an anti-clockwise direction?

Posted on: 2019/11/19 22:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
Based on past experience, I would exhaust your visual inspection opportunities before resulting to larger and larger tool$$$$.

Posted on: 2019/11/20 8:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm assuming the 1931 vibration damper is attached in the same manner as my 1934 (photo attached). Easiest way to turn/remove is to take an old socket and just grind a groove on each side to slide over and engage the pin. Generally to rotate the engine in reverse you'll want to use the flywheel as rotating the vibration damper fastener in reverse will just unscrew it.

Attach file:

jpg  (193.21 KB)
177_5dd551ab9d75e.jpg 1500X1224 px

Posted on: 2019/11/20 9:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Had read about it, and when faced with a fairly fresh '54 engine that had gotten stuck from bad storage I tried it:

I mixed together 3 quarts each of ATF and Acetone. Took out all the plugs and filled the cylinders to the brim. Went away for two weeks and then a wrench on the on the damper bolt broke it free with ease. The engine would turn some distance and stop so I knew a valve was still stuck. Filled the intake manifold with the same mixture and went away for some more days. Last night I rocked the engine GENTLY against the stuck valve till it lifted and audibly slammed shut after another half turn. I cranked the engine for some time with the plugs out to blow out most of the ATF and was able to start it this morning. VERY pleased, and very smokey.

Posted on: 2019/11/20 13:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes, it was a bit smokey with all that oil in the manifolds. Ah, but now that the smoke has cleared the engine is back to its usual happy self. Sadly the smoke obscures a view of me doing my happy dance.

Attach file:

jpg  (310.57 KB)
618_5dd5f10d2205c.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2019/11/20 21:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yeah, but not a mosquito in sight, eh Ross?!?!? LOL Chris

Posted on: 2019/11/20 21:09
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

toymanbob
See User information
I just fired for the first time my "36 six cylinder. I had it bored so new pistons and rings get submerged in engine oil for ease of assembly. You can only imagine the smoke cloud as I didn't think to record it. I had an open exhaust pointing out of the shop and toward the house which disappeared behind the cloud. It sounded marvelous by the way, Bob

Posted on: 2019/11/21 11:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Thanks Dyneto. Yes, all I need to do is get about a 7/8" socket and grind a set of grooves to match the lugs on the bolt. I built one very similar to remove a bathtub drain, but it was a hair too big to use in this application.

Posted on: 2019/11/23 6:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Hey Ross - Thanks for sharing the success story on the atf/acetone mix. I've considered doing that but am concerned that any spillage on the engine might ruin the paint on the engine, which has been done very nicely. I've been considering a thorough soaking of diesel/atf instead as some people seem to have luck with that.

Posted on: 2019/11/23 6:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Hey Ross - Thanks for sharing the success story on the atf/acetone mix. I've considered doing that but am concerned that any spillage on the engine might ruin the paint on the engine, which has been done very nicely. I've been considering a thorough soaking of diesel/atf instead as some people seem to have luck with that.

Posted on: 2019/11/23 6:53
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved