Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 35 »

Re: Vacation Car - 56 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Their prices on brake line kits don't seem too bad, but the fuel line was surprisingly expensive. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go with the pre-made kits for brakes or roll my own. Probably the latter because I need to learn how to do it.

Your car is coming along nicely!

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/2/9 13:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
On long lines like these, they will either roll them or send in two pieces to help save on shipping (over 8' feet requires using freight methods) so if you do use them, be sure to discuss that with them so that there are no surprises. They say that shipping rolled, the tubes can easily be straightened but I have my doubts about that so personally I would opt to have them shipped straight in one piece as they were originally. If you opt for stainless, be sure to also specify stainless fittings.

Also, if the brake and fuel lines are similar but have a major price different ask them why that is. Maybe there is a good reason!

Posted on: 2021/2/9 15:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A brake set I bought from Kanter (believe made by Classic) had the longer lengths rolled with a very gentle curve and shipped in a fairly large squarish box. I took the lines out and placed them on the driveway with a weight at one end to keep that end on the ground while rolling the rest out flat. It did straighten for the most part but will need a bit of fine tuning. If installing with everything still on the frame some pieces are going to get bent again anyway when trying to get around or thru mounts and frame holes etc so the rolling issue is the least of the straightening problems. Stainless is very hard and will be difficult to work with particularly if large components are still in place but is supposed to last longer.

Posted on: 2021/2/9 15:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
I am finally wrapping up the winter work on the truck so that I can start to turn my attention to parts for the patrician. First up was the 3 speed O/D transmission:

Disassembly went fairly easy. I still need to remove the reverse idler gear (need to get a tool for that since I cant get enough swing for the hammer) and the tail shaft out of the tail shaft housing. According to the manual I have to hammer out the Welsh plug to get to the snap ring. Never heard of a Welsh plug, but upon some research it is similar to a freeze plug in an engine block. From videos I seen online they are suppose to just hammer out. Well I could not get that to work, so before I broke anything that would be impossible to find I figured I would present the question here. Does anyone know how to get the welsh plug out so I can remove the shaft from the housing?

Figured out why I was not able to shift the 2-3 lever. The lever was froze into the trans cover. Was able to tap it out and clean it out. now it goes in and moves freely, so that problem figured out. Did see that the gear that slides between reverse and first gear is chipped as well as the gear that it mates with on the counter shaft... So I have to see if I can get replacements for them. Other than those two issues everything on the trans side looked okay. The O/D side of things looked good just really, really dirty. So I will put all the small parts through the ultra sonic cleaner and give the cases a good wash out.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0245.jpg (390.11 KB)
203788_603d0a81f07d4.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  IMG_0248.jpg (545.45 KB)
203788_603d0a8ba250f.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  IMG_0249.jpg (379.07 KB)
203788_603d0a96067dd.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/3/1 10:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Carfreak,
I see in the picture of your firewall there is a “V”.
Is your paint code V?
Do you see any other letters or numbers like the “V” in the picture?

Does your standard transmission case have any markings cast or stamped on it?
For reference:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=10&topic_id=22150&order=ASC&status=&mode=0

Posted on: 2021/3/1 11:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
Carfreak,
I see in the picture of your firewall there is a “V”.
Is your paint code V?
Do you see any other letters or numbers like the “V” in the picture?

Does your standard transmission case have any markings cast or stamped on it?
For reference:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=10&topic_id=22150&order=ASC&status=&mode=0

I believe the paint codes are stamped onto the VIN plate in the drivers door jam. I am not to sure what the "V" pertains too.

thank you for that reference, but didnt see any transmissions in that post that match mine. thanks anyway!

Posted on: 2021/3/1 12:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist5556/TOC.pdf

Page XIII
V is the code for Corsican black.
Just curious if that matches the code on your data plate on the driver side door post.
I have seen the car number as other things on the firewall.

Your transmission, I was wanting to update that list if you have a transmission that is not on there.
Thanks

Posted on: 2021/3/1 14:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist5556/TOC.pdf

Page XIII
V is the code for Corsican black.
Just curious if that matches the code on your data plate on the driver side door post.
I have seen the car number as other things on the firewall.

Your transmission, I was wanting to update that list if you have a transmission that is not on there.
Thanks

Yes V is on the data plate, it was an original all black car.

Posted on: 2021/3/1 15:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
This past weekend was more work on cleaning the transmission. I got the reverse idler out of the trans case and got the case cleaned. I got the over drive housing cleaned as well. Last thing is to separate the tail shaft from the housing, looks like I am going to have to damage that plug to get it out of there.

I also got the column assembled! forgot partially how it went together, so it took a little time getting it back together, but I think it came out very well!

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0262.jpg (452.32 KB)
203788_605260d9e635b.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/3/17 15:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
This past weekend my schedule opened up a bit and I was able to do more stuff to the Patrician.

I started the polishing of the gold mesh. I was going back and forth on if I wanted to recoat it or what to do, but I used this polish from Autosol that is called anodized aluminum polish. Did a really good job! If you look just below the red line in the picture, that is where I didnt do it yet and the areas closer to the camera is where I did. Its not really noticeable head on, but it definitely makes a difference when viewed at an angle. I did the gold twice so far. I am thinking of one more coat of polish and I should be ready to start assembling the dash board. The pad is suppose to be here in the next week or so.

I also got the seals and small parts ordered for the T85/R11 trans. So hopefully they come in soon so I can start working on that!

Attach file:

jpg  polished dash.jpg (204.26 KB)
203788_607de2f42bb90.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/4/19 15:08
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 35 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved