Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 122

DavidM, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 35 »

Re: Vacation Car - 56 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Thank you Humanpotatohybrid for sending the bushings! I got those installed and the front glass is in as well. I just need some time to finishing installing the motors and regulators and trying everything out to make sure it all works.

I installed the horns and in the process I created and installed a headlight relay harness to take the load off of the dash switch. I am thinking I am going to put an alternator on it and potentially get the dash alt meter changed out to a voltmeter. Still havent decided on that.

I got the front bumper mesh polished and sealed. I am going to hopefully bring out the other front bumper this weekend, but I am trying to decide if I want to go the route (and expense) of replating both bumpers. I used tri city plating in TN before and they were reasonable, but that was on a smaller bumper.

had the father in law over to do some light sanding and buffing and the paint is turning out real well! which is why I was thinking of getting bumpers plated.

also looking at getting different wheels. I like the look of the wire wheels, but I dont know how big of a pain it will be to keep them clean. Furthermore tire selection is pretty slim, and expensive if you go white walls. There is this company called deluxe wheel company that makes a 20" wheel, that includes the white wall on the wheel and allows you to use your standard 15" hub cap. That gives you the selection of 20" tires. but the smallest width is 8 inches and I have no idea how that will interact with the rear wheel wells and front suspension.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1562.jpg (354.70 KB)
203788_63d1741eab0f5.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/1/25 13:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I must admit I had not heard of these wheels before. I was prepared to be appalled but they look better than expected. They might work. I would ask questions around the wheel offset. They will result in a harder ride because the sidewall of the tire will be stiffer.

Posted on: 2023/1/25 14:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Available widths look way too big

Posted on: 2023/1/25 14:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I took a look at Deluxe Wheel just now. I'll be honest, I don't think it's going to look as good in person. It leaves the wheel looking very "shallow" to me.
Sidewalls can't flex as much. Plus you're looking at ~$900 just for the rims, and you still need to get tires. I would just get Diamondback tires made with the whitewall width you want. They will look better and handle great.

If it were me, I would get good whitewall tires before I replated the bumpers. If the bumpers are serviceable then use them as is for now, and replate later. People will notice the whitewalls long before they notice bumpers.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/1/25 14:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Be sure to check your hub diameter and the center hole of the wheels but I suspect you'll have issues fitting the larger wheels into the wells, especially the rear. Even modern radials in a size close to the original bias ply sometimes have issues getting them in!

Posted on: 2023/1/25 14:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
The deluxe wheels are 2 inches wider, which is why I am a little concerned with clearances. but I cant say they would look terrible, a little wider contact patch really doesnt hurt, IF they can fit.

Yes the side walls would be a lot smaller, and may mean a "rougher" ride. But given the characteristics of the suspension I think it can handle it. It just means there would be more movement of the suspension.

There was a guy on facebook that had a 56 400 (he sold it a year or so ago) that had 20" wheels with diamond backs 20" white wall tires and according to him it road better with the larger rims. I never got a ride in it since I am in PA and I believe he was in SC or FL.

Posted on: 2023/1/25 15:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
However, the guy that had the 56 400 with the 20 inch wheels had 20x8 with 4.75" max back spacing... which is very different than the .5 back spacing on the Deluxe Wheel website.

Posted on: 2023/1/25 15:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Got the quote back from plating... Not going to do that! so Ill just see if I can find some decent bumper parts and make good ones. Did that with the rear, still looking for the front.

Finally finished the sanding and buffing and boy all mighty does it look good! Started to install some trim on the car. This weekend I am picking up the reynolds wrap so I can get the trim on that needs to get on before the bumpers go on. Than with the bumpers and grill on I will start playing with the suspension to get that working and replace all the bushings.

I also got word the SMS should be shipping my seat covers next month, which would be awesome!

I would like to go with the wire wheels. However, no one has them in stock and according to the manufacturer, wont get around to making them until the summer, but summit says they should be getting more by May. so we will see what happens there.

Attach file:

jpg  69853760155__6D216418-5BBF-43F3-9742-EF1329A591EC.jpg (236.95 KB)
203788_63f38cf490409.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/2/20 10:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Paint looks really nice after sanding and buffing. Just keep your eyes open and you'll come across some decent chrome bits on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. I was able to pick up a replacement rear bumper for cheap. It's nowhere near perfect, but far better than what I had.

How long did it take SMS to do the seat covers? And did you have to send your originals in to them? I'm looking at options for getting mine redone.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/2/20 10:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Got the quote back from plating... Not going to do that!

Even though you had to pick yourself off the floor after seeing the price, be glad you still have a reasonable access to plating shops.

We used to be flush with them but most have gone away. With an article in the paper a few weeks ago it makes those few we still have look like they could be highly endangered and on borrowed time. There is a push on now to go after a substance at the heart of the chrome plating process. If it is not banned completely, to keep using it will require some very costly mods and if either happens you can figure what happens next.

Posted on: 2023/2/20 10:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 35 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved