Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 71

DM37, happy, humanpotatohybrid, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 ... 35 »

Re: Vacation Car - 56 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
So I had to get some work done to my truck before the summer got into full swing, so now that is done I am back to focusing on the Patrician.

Got word that the carpet should hopefully ship in 2 weeks... hopefully. Been waiting a couple months for it.

last I heard on the seat covers is that they started it, ran out of material, created more material... I am due to follow up with them soon.

Didnt get a chance to modify one of my control switches to what Howard created. hopefully soon. I did start on re-bushing the rear suspension. I got mostly everything disassembled, going to try and get the big nut off of the front of the load arm tonight. Game plan is to have it disassembled and paint tomorrow and spend the holiday weekend getting the suspension back together.

Posted on: 2023/5/26 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

CarFreak wrote:
So I had to get some work done to my truck before the summer got into full swing, so now that is done I am back to focusing on the Patrician.

Got word that the carpet should hopefully ship in 2 weeks... hopefully. Been waiting a couple months for it.

last I heard on the seat covers is that they started it, ran out of material, created more material... I am due to follow up with them soon.

Didnt get a chance to modify one of my control switches to what Howard created. hopefully soon. I did start on re-bushing the rear suspension. I got mostly everything disassembled, going to try and get the big nut off of the front of the load arm tonight. Game plan is to have it disassembled and paint tomorrow and spend the holiday weekend getting the suspension back together.

Sounds like a good list to tackle. Your experience with the seat covers is what has me hesitating to have mine done at SMS. They are the only ones that have the right material, but I can order what I need and have someone local make them. It'll cost me a lot more, but with my car being driven I would rather pay more and have the car back on the road faster.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/5/26 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Freak.

If you go hh switch route.

I have relays with trimmers. I have them at 6 seconds.

Let me know

Cost. Just donate to Kevin.

Posted on: 2023/5/26 20:17
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Quote:

CarFreak wrote:

Sounds like a good list to tackle. Your experience with the seat covers is what has me hesitating to have mine done at SMS. They are the only ones that have the right material, but I can order what I need and have someone local make them. It'll cost me a lot more, but with my car being driven I would rather pay more and have the car back on the road faster.

-Kevin

I dont blame you on that. I would have gone that route, but the door cards appeared in presentable shape and I wanted everything to match. Hopefully the seats dont make the door cards look too bad, but only time will tell.

thanks Riki! Ill keep that in mind

But as for an update, last week was busier than all hell, but I was able to get the entire rear suspension disassembled by having the car up on jack stands via the frame, put the axle on jack stands and just unbolted everything. I put a hydraulic jack under the load arms as the U bolts were undone and just lowered the load arms via the hydraulic jack once the U-bolts were undone. I did grab pictures of the U-bolts with a measuring tape just in case anyone would need to find new ones in the future.

but I got it all painted, rebushed, assembled, torqued and back on the ground! I hope to start on the front this weekend. Everything appears to be straight forward, I have the holding tool for the torsion bar.

is there any cutting that needs done to get the old bushings out? and do I really have to remove the backing plates from the steering knuckles/spindles? or can I just remove the knuckles/spindles by removing their pivots from the upper and lower control arms leaving the backing plates and brakes on? Besides taking pictures during disassembly so I know how it all goes back together, anything else I should be aware of?

thanks!

Posted on: 2023/6/6 16:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Well, the entire front suspension is done! Disassembly wasnt difficult. I left the backing plates, and associated brake stuff on the knuckle and just removed the pivot bolts. The upper and lower control arms came out fairly easily. Upon disassembly I finally understood what my dad meant when he rebushed the car, he only did the control arm bushings.

pressing the bushings out of the upper arms were not bad at all. Pushing them in was a little tricky but it went together A okay.

I saw that a lot of people cut apart the lower control arms to get the bushings out, but with a punch and a decent size hammer they came right out. Again pressing them in was a little tricky, but got it done.

once the suspension was together, torqued at ride height I went on to installing the power steering hardware since my dad converted it to manual steering. Everything went together on the underside okay until I saw the power steering cylinder was hitting the exhaust. After doing some research I saw that the stove valve for the exhaust was installed on the wrong side, so once it was installed on the drivers side, it all went together okay. I took this time to change the cross(?) shaft seal on the bottom of the steering gear. I was a little annoyed that I had to partially disassemble the gear to change it, but I am glad I did. it was bone dry... No idea for how long, but I cleaned up the components, added the new seal and coated everything with a liberal amount of oil. I was letting everything sit before I fill the steering gear up.

Surprisingly I had a little extra time that I utilized to reworking 1 and almost two leverler control switches. Not to bad to do. Once I test fit the alternator Ill install the generator hook up the new switch and report back on how well it works on the car.

Posted on: 2023/6/23 8:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Just a minor update. I was able to get the suspension working!! the car is on the skates and was able to get the car to level out on its own using the compensator switch I modified to what Howard and Riki did. Works well. It is the version without the micro switches.

Ill finishing building one more for a spare, test it then go on to cleaning the interior out of parts (by putting them on the car) and get the carpet installed that I finally got last week! moving along.

Posted on: 2023/6/27 11:56
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
The past couple days have been fairly productive. I met some packard owners at a local car cruise which prompted me to create a list of all the tasks that need completed to get the car on the road. Not done, just safe enough to drive and iron out the issues.

I would say I have a little over half of the list completed with two major items out of my control: when the tires ship and when the seats are done. Tires were ordered last week (or the week before) and I finally got notification that the seat covers have shipped on the 29th of june. The seats are all ready at the upholsters, and the tires could be here in 2 to 3 weeks.

My biggest issue is an electrical one that I just posted in the V8 section about. But basically I am having power issues. I am getting power out of the voltage regulator at the red wire, but I am only getting power sometimes at the ignition switch/fuse block/cigar lighter. I have no idea why. Only thing I can think of is an issue with the headlight switch or the circuit breaker on the switch going straight to ground. I did not test this theory. would anyone have an idea of what to look for and where?

Posted on: 2023/7/5 9:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
I got some extra time to work on the electrical issue last night and thanks to those whom offered suggestions in my Electrical thread .

I got consistent power to everything now due to a bad ground. Dash indicator lights work as they should, headlights work as they should as do the parking lights and turn signals!

Now on to other tasks to get it road ready

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1914.jpg (83.96 KB)
203788_64a6c7ee0a0f9.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/7/6 8:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
When several electrical systems go haywire at once, it's often a ground related problem.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 10:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Ill try to keep that in mind the next time I have an issue!

Posted on: 2023/7/6 11:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 ... 35 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved