Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Lower radiator hose collapse
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
FINALLY finished installing my freshly rebuilt engine in the car, everything hooked up and it started right up, what a great feeling and sound, NO SOUND , a quiet engine!

The old radiator hoses were replaced with fresh new ones. I did notice the old lower one had a spring inside it to prevent it from collapsing but the replacement does not.

At anything above a fast idle or even momentarily revving the engine, I see the lower radiator hose collapse upon itself.

I understand the spring is supposed to prevent this, but want to be certain something else isn't amiss. Fresh water pump and radiator was cored at a reputable shop, is it possible there is something wrong with the radiator before I hang the fenders and nose on?

If it needs a spring, where can I find one? Have scoured the web for one without success.

39 Packard Six

Thanks in advance !

john

Posted on: 2019/12/21 10:39
 Top  Print 

Re: Lower radiator hose collapse
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...Try Max and Kanter...I would bet that either of them would have the correct hose. Might be a little more money but it will be quick and correct...Ernie in Arizoa

Posted on: 2019/12/21 11:11
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Remove old spring. Place in new hose.
Tuition, you just earned some.

Congrats on a successful build!

Edit: maybe you can buy a cheapie at the local FLAPS and use that spring?

Posted on: 2019/12/21 11:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
On my '40, the only lower hose is 3" at the bottom and 3" at the top that connect to a metal pipe that can't collapse. Prior to finding the pipe at Packard-Seattle (David Moe, who sent several because we weren't sure which one was the right shape), there was, incorrectly, a rubber hose with a spring support in it.

I did not check the parts listed for '39. Perhaps it uses a hose with a spring. The metal hose needed for mine was 341691, with the aforementioned rubber segments and hose clamps (from Restoration Specialties).

Here are some pix. Tap pix to turn them.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.52 KB)
1067_5dfe54ac50bef.jpg 576X1024 px

jpg  (185.25 KB)
1067_5dfe54b66ab21.jpg 1632X1224 px

jpg  (294.83 KB)
1067_5dfe54bd952fa.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (45.42 KB)
1067_5dfe54c4cebc0.jpg 641X363 px

jpg  (30.89 KB)
1067_5dfe5961095fb.jpg 149X344 px

Posted on: 2019/12/21 12:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Hose set I bought was from Max. will call them Monday AM as it did not have the spring

Posted on: 2019/12/21 12:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The lower hoses for my 1939 Six and my several 1940 110s were also of the type with the steel tube and two short hose connectors.

Posted on: 2019/12/21 12:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Tried just that. Old spring is pretty crusty and stuck in hose. By the time I was able to persuade it out, it was terribly bent out of shape. Attempted to rewind on a mandrel and stick mandrel in hose, but could only get about 2/3 of the spring in and cut several inches off. Hose didn't collapse in that are a but of course, the area just above where the spring ended

Posted on: 2019/12/21 12:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As Joe and I both stated, you do not have the correct lower hose as it shouldn't be rubber at all. It should be steel with only two connector hoses that are too short to collapse.

Posted on: 2019/12/21 14:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you checked Napa? If you elect to keep the all rubber hose setup I believe Napa did at one time sell the springs separately. No idea if they still do but if Max cannot supply something maybe one of the parts stores can.

Posted on: 2019/12/21 14:58
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Have you checked Napa? If you elect to keep the all rubber hose setup I believe Napa did at one time sell the springs separately. No idea if they still do but if Max cannot supply something maybe one of the parts stores can.

Good advice, as usual. Another suggestion is you could just buy a hose with a spring in it and use that spring in your hose.

Posted on: 2019/12/21 15:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved