Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 171

kevinpackard, BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Lower radiator hose collapse
Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Packard made the lower "hose" in 3 pieces is because they needed more strength in the middle section to keep it from collapsing. Yes, there are/were hoses that would replace it in dimension but just as Packard found they will collapse.

Years ago we took the metal "J" piece to a muffler shop and they explained that the bend radius was too small for their machines.

We do offer the single rubber hose design as referenced in this post as well the hose pieces if a customer is still using the steel pipe. We do offer the steel portion but it is an inquire part as we have limit stock.

Please feel free to call our Packard Department for further information and pricing.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2019/12/24 12:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
A muffler shop is probably not a good choice and shops like Classic Tube or even a custom motorcycle shop that make frames can bend up to 2" diameter with a tighter radius.

Posted on: 2019/12/24 12:47
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Duncan Michael
See User information
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-29012

You will need to have the ends rolled or create barbs with weld to keep the hose sections from slipping. Mandrel bends are constant diameter.

Posted on: 2019/12/24 13:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Duncan Micheal - the '39 Six is a zero pressure system and while I agree with your advice that a barb or knurl at the end of the stub is a good idea, as long as the rubber is a good fit to the metal and is well clamped, one could get away with just straight ends. Once clamped and 'memory molded' to the metal stub, the rubber should 'stick' quite well. Chris

Posted on: 2019/12/24 17:38
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon all...Another possibility would be an electrical sub-contractor who does big SES systems and lots of conduit bending for large commercial applications. Every city has these folks and they can certainly bend up what is needed if they are willing and I'll bet they will help out...Ernie in Arizona.

Posted on: 2019/12/24 19:17
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The originals on my 1939, several 1940s and a 1941 did not have flared ends and no sign that they ever had them. In fact, the hose was so stiff that I doubt it could have been pulled over a flare!

Posted on: 2019/12/24 19:44
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Duncan Michael
See User information
If anyone has ever seen someone burned by hot fluid, pressurized or not, I'm sure they will agree that a few dollars to add a safety feature such as a barb is money well spent.

As rubber compounds and antifreeze formulas (alcohol vs glycol) have changed, I won't rely on friction/memory and clamping of a hose to a smooth metal tube.

Posted on: 2019/12/25 11:38
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved