Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clipper switches
Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I have two non-working switches under the dash to the right of the steering column. My question, what are they for? They appear to be reostat type switches, maybe to dim the dash gauges (?). . . HELP!

Attach file:

jpg  (17.87 KB)
564_499761044cb85.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2009/2/14 19:29
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Re: Clipper switches
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
The switches are aftermarket added. I can only suggest tracing the wires from each switch to determine accessory. Do you have an aftermarket heater/ defroster? Good luck

Posted on: 2009/2/14 20:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Another thought about switches! Are they the turn type or the pull type? How about added windshield washers!

Posted on: 2009/2/14 20:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
They turn. I thought maybe they were aftermarket but wasn't sure. Where are the heater/fan switches supposed to be?

Posted on: 2009/2/14 20:25
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Think dallas is right about being after the fact. Instrument lights would normally just be off/on with the instr. lamp switch on dash. How is your heater or defroster controlled? They resemble some switches I've seen used on those--how about an under seat heater? Any thing extra in package shelf area like a rear speaker or defogger? Does the plastic knob pull off and is there a light inside?

Posted on: 2009/2/14 20:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I'll try again to trace the wires tomorrow.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 20:42
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Denny, I am going from memory on my '47 and not sure '41 Clippers were the same but are the heater and defroster switches not in the centre dash vertical row of switches on passenger side of the radio grille? Is not the dash light control switch the third one down from the headlight switch? If not then perhaps as suggested these are aftermarket to control after market heater etc. I am almost positive they are not factory items.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 20:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just looked at a 47 dash and it is as clipper 47 describes on heater/defroster--so shouldn't be anything under. The instrument light has 3 positions hi, low, off so anything under dash would be an extra for that. Also have a couple of older heaters with controls. One is a toggle type switch with a paddle lever hi med low, and one with defroster has a rotary switch that turns either way depending on function. Both mount under dash but knob points at seat, not straight down. Your extra switches may turn out to be as interesting as the extra hole for an unknown switch someone put in KevinAZ's 55 dash.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 20:55
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved