Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 135

DavidM, 39Rollson, Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: My New 1956 Packard Clipper Deluxe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Pretty common for Calif too. Believe if not registered for 4 years here they are purged and then we go thru the same thing.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 18:20
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

redneckatw247
See User information
Nice! I think our records in Oregon get held for oh lets see I think its 8-10 years, but has to be an 80's car or newer I dunno. Good times.

I'm getting my rechromed bumper bullets from Don Keller this weekend. I'm very eager to see the first parts coming in for this beast!!

Posted on: 2009/3/16 17:40
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

redneckatw247
See User information
I just got these over the weekend and just want to say I love Santa Clause! Er actually I got these bumper bullets from Don Keller. Great man. Hook up with him if you need something. I have mine still, but one of them has a nasty hole in it. Thought I'd get a refinished set too. Thanks Don!!

Attach file:

jpg  (240.03 KB)
1314_49c99721cd28e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/3/24 21:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You realize of course, that if you put those shiny things on the Clipper whatever's next to them will look shabby so you'll decide to redo that, and then the next thing close will look bad and so on and so on until before you know it, you've redone the whole car--by which time the bullets look shabby again and you start over.

Posted on: 2009/3/24 21:44
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

redneckatw247
See User information
Preachin' to the choir! Sounds like you have some past experiences too tee hee hee !

Posted on: 2009/3/24 22:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
not to judge, but seems to me you are starting to spend the money in the wrong places.....take the car down first, then start spending the money.

to see what i am talking about look at my blog for a body off restoration. there is so much more ahead of you than bumper bullets.....

Posted on: 2009/3/24 23:40
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

redneckatw247
See User information
Well, actually I am going to strip it all down. I will be starting from the ground up. Its just I don't have time right now to do this. I need a complete pair eventually and since the right side is harder to get I'd thought I'd get them now. Technically I haven't begun restoring it. That wont start happening for a while yet. But yes I'm going to be doing it the right way. Start with the frame and work my way up.
I have asked my buddy at napa, and said they can get me a rebuild kit for both the tranny and engine out from California. I'm stoked. (Just don't ask about the pricing)

Posted on: 2009/3/25 19:19
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

redneckatw247
See User information
Okay here's a good one. I'm about to pull the motor and tranny to find out how much it's gonna take to resurrect the beast and I found this: I have a canister bolted to the firewall (I'll get pictures up here later today) and says pre-matic on it. There is a high pressure line going from the oil filter to this pre-matic canister thingy. What the heck is a pre-matic? Any ideas? I'll get pics up later today. Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/5/4 10:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Be interesting to see the pictures and all of the plumbing & hookup, but 2 things come to mind.

There was a "fad" in that era for toilet paper filters but that would take 2 lines & usually replaced the original oil filter. Another was a pre-lubrication device that stored up a charge of oil during running that was released when the ign key was turned on before starter engaged. That needed wiring or some mechanical way to trigger though.

Other than that, nothing rings a bell. Best of my knowledge, pre-matic was never a name Packard used for anything. Easa-matic, Mag-nu-matic, Ultramatic are the only "matics that come to mind.

JC Whitney, Western Auto, Sears and just about any aftermarket supply company you can name had some kind of gimmick back then you could add to prolong engine life or increase power or save money..so there's an endless number of possibilities.

Anyone remember the magic pills you dropped in the gas or the "turbo charger" that sat under the base of carb with a little propeller that spun in the air flow---until the rivet holding propeller came loose. It was supposed to save you money & boost your gas milage 50% or more by packing more energy in the air density--but that one alone probably kept several rebuild shops going chasing loose rivet damage--(no I didn't learn that one from personal experience but one of my best friends did with his mom's 54 Plymouth).

Posted on: 2009/5/4 10:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Mini-super charger. They sold some pretty funny stuff in the JC Whitney catalogs.

Portawalls were funny too.

Attach file:

jpg  (103.15 KB)
633_49ff1df25738d.jpg 349X1280 px

jpg  (34.84 KB)
633_49ff1e0006c97.jpg 500X438 px

Posted on: 2009/5/4 11:55
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved