Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

BigKev, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Interior upholstery kits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I thinking of doing the interior of my '51 sedan. Anyone out there who knows if it is possible to buy a kit?

Posted on: 2020/2/6 17:22
 Top  Print 

Re: Interior upholstery kits
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As far as I know there are no repro kits made in the original materials. You might be able to luck out with a NOS piece or two but finding enough of a set to do an entire car might not happen. SMS or Hirsch might have some original fabric or a close reproduction but I think you will need to find a local upholsterer to do the sewing and installing. Kanter I believe still offers what they call custom fit kits but from what I remember in their catalog it appears those are made with modern plain or solid color velours and fabrics.

Posted on: 2020/2/6 17:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Howard,

Thanks that's what I was thinking, but figured it was worth posting.

Marty

Posted on: 2020/2/6 18:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
Call Kanter's and ask for samples. I bought a set of their custom seat covers and was totally satisfied. They have quite a few samples that are 'period' looking.

Posted on: 2020/2/7 7:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
SMS apparently can make the seat upholstery and door panels to your pattern if you have something good enough to send them although they also apparently have quite a few patterns too. You would still need to get it all installed locally and that's probably as close to a kit as you'll find.

Posted on: 2020/2/7 13:02
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tabletennissport
See User information
Warning! SMS re-made the fabric for my 41. It took over 3 years for them to do it!

Posted on: 2020/2/7 20:12
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Second the last comment on SMS. The door panels for my '62 Bonneville took 13 months and then arrived in the wrong color. When I called about it, I was advised to "use them anyway." Fortunately, my upholsterer was able to dye them in the proper color.

Posted on: 2020/3/14 3:46
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Quote:

Steve.43 wrote:
Second the last comment on SMS. The door panels for my '62 Bonneville took 13 months and then arrived in the wrong color. When I called about it, I was advised to "use them anyway." Fortunately, my upholsterer was able to dye them in the proper color.

"Use them anyway"?? SMS does not sound like a very customer-sensitive bunch.

Posted on: 2020/3/14 4:39
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is what SMS says as regards how long it takes to fill an order:

"Cloth and vinyl orders that are in stock typically ship within three to five days. Pre-sewn headliners typically will ship within two weeks. However, sometimes ship times will be longer based on the particular product. In these cases, our customer service staff will notify you of the current estimated shipping times when you place an order. Door panels are made to order you will be given an estimated timeframe for completion when you order."

What they don't say is whether you get the estimated delivery time before or after you pay the bill.

Looking at the website, it lists lots of materials but less evidence of actual stock. If they are making materials on sight by hand, that is very time consuming. However, if they don't maintain any order tracking it's a black hole.

Posted on: 2020/3/14 8:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
If you want it right, then I'm confident SMS is one place who can do it. As with several vendors who are family-owned operations, you have to wait.

No one will send you correct Packard door sills in a week, or restored steering wheels, or restored dash instruments, or stainless side-mount trim.

I've seen the huge inventory at SMS complete with the original showroom sample books of available interiors for each year and model. They are a treasure. I've watched the machines that make those intricate '50s door panels using multiple fabrics of custom pattern cloth and vinyl, plus metal trim.

All the above take patience and premium payment.

Are there alternatives that are cheaper, faster, but not quite correct that you can live with? Yes, but they're probably not on Jay Leno's vendor list.

Posted on: 2020/3/14 12:16
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved