Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 170

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

General restoration: oxidation removal from wood grained surfaces
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Good day! I recently pulled the speedometer from my 1937 Packard 120 for servicing. In examining the panel, I suspect I restore much luster to my original wood graining by removing oxidation. I tried soap and water, along with a cleaning product for motorcycles (spray on/wipe off). Neither touched it. Any tips for removing the oxidation without removing the paint? Obviously I will need something a little bit abrasive, but would hate to remove too much - they're only original once.

Thought I would sample the brain trust here before I embarked. Thanks in advance!

Attach file:

jpg  (235.81 KB)
2964_5e5d58e7a57e9.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/3/2 14:06
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Re: General restoration: oxidation removal from wood grained surfaces
Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
So this is a bridge I've never crossed but in the event no one else has either.. If the car were mine I'd try a very mild polish. I would also pick an inconspicuous spot under trim or where it goes under the dash. Maybe start with a Q-tip and see if it improves... you can always add more pressure. If that does work I'd just apply some wax after. You should temper you expectations that it will never look like the covered area unless you redo it. I would also abort the soap and water, I would only think that it would anger it more.

Posted on: 2020/3/2 17:20
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Maybe someone with professional woodgraining/painting experience could chime in, but I think your dash panel looks great.

I'd shoot it with clear urethane, cut with a little matte so it wouldn't look wet. That would protect it "forever." I doubt the oxidation would show.

Attach file:

jpg  (69.85 KB)
1067_5e5da18b194eb.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (62.15 KB)
1067_5e5da1d831399.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2020/3/2 19:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
I'm assuming there is some sort of "clear coat" like finish correct?

I would start off with a high quality polish and as always start with the least invasive application. High quality because of the strict standards in uniformity, size, and shape of their abrasives

I've used Menzerna polishes for years on hundreds of vehicles with different paint systems. They are free of silicone, wax and fillers do what you see right after you're done polishing is exactly the finish that you'll have weeks or months down the road unlike others were after time the silicones or fillers deplete - the uniformity and quality of their abrasives is incredible

I'd probably startswith their final finisher and a white /
Flat lake country pad (hand polishing)

Posted on: 2020/3/3 2:58
1951 200 Deluxe Sedan Valiant Green Metallic
Vehicle #:2462 8372
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Use very fine steel wool, grade 000 or 0000. The rust is about the same shade as the wood graining. Then coat lightly with gloss urethane. Than let the paint fully cure before waxing

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2020/3/3 8:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Thanks all for the thoughts! It may not have been clear from my original post - the especially good looking portions in the picture I posted are normally covered by trim, thus the lack of oxidation.

I'll try mild steel wool and/or a gentle polish and report back.

Posted on: 2020/3/3 15:29
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
It should be noted that even 0000 steel wool will create inclusions, they may not be visible to the naked eye but they will deter from the finish due to light refracting and not reflecting back to your retina - this is why James mentions a layer of urethane after which fills the inclusions.

If your final passes are done using the polish I mentioned with a machine on very light pressure it will burning or jewel the finish - By hand it will not burnish/jewel due to lack of speed but it will create a beautiful clear finish.

Posted on: 2020/3/4 16:14
1951 200 Deluxe Sedan Valiant Green Metallic
Vehicle #:2462 8372
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved