Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Head Studs
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
what would be the best or easiest way to remove the head studs from the block?

Posted on: 2020/3/4 17:04
 Top  Print 

Re: Head Studs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A stud remover tool should make the job pretty easy. They come in a variety of shapes and most utilize a grip on the unthreaded shank of the stud by a knurled wheel jammed against it. I been using a K-D stud remover for decades, an excellent, very robust tool, need a picture? Or just Google stud remover tool.

The same tool is also used to install studs.

Attach file:

jpg  (150.61 KB)
177_5e6046b00d2d5.jpg 1400X929 px

Posted on: 2020/3/4 18:15
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
thank you Owen, it is ordered from amazon, here in two days

Posted on: 2020/3/4 22:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Sometimes studs can removed by double nutting them.

Posted on: 2020/3/4 22:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Always put a nut on them and wacked with a hammer to try to break them loose. And there is always the blue wrench ( torch to heat the block)
Good Luck
W

Posted on: 2020/3/5 10:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
I use these to remove them. They are sized by the diameter of the stud and use rollers and wedge to grip the stud and don't leave the marks of the other style.

I would only heat the studs themselves and use plenty of your favorite penetrating oil, mine's Kroil. (Kano Labs, Nashville, TN) As an addition or alternative, get dry ice. Grocery stores have it around here. Pack it around the stud and let it freeze. (Use gloves because it will cause burns quickly. Theory is to have it go thru expansion(heat) and contraction (freeze) cycles to loosen it's grip.

As mentioned a good rap on the top helps, just be sure you have a nut on it flush with the top of the stud to prevent damage to the threads and stud.

You might consider using a torque wrench to avoid over stressing the stud, they are not fun to drill out.

Below is a chart location (there are others) that will give you an idea of how much torque was used to install them. For example, if a 1/2" stud was torqued to 75# initially, you may not want to exceed, say 100, before stopping and trying some of the above again.

Good luck, now if I can just get my piston out.

https://aztecbolting.com/sites/default/files/AztecBolting_TorqueEstimatingChart.pdf

Attach file:

jpg  (155.13 KB)
181435_5e614f276666e.jpg 1632X1224 px

jpg  (389.74 KB)
181435_5e614f3ac7901.jpg 1632X1224 px

Posted on: 2020/3/5 14:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Short story of a head stud.

Back in the 1970's I had a Model A Ford Coupe. Upon removing the head to replace the gasket the stud in front broke off flush with the top of the block.

Good friend say drill it out and use an Easy-Out (easy-peasy).

So applying some torque I succeeded in snapping the easy-out off. in the stud.

Easy-out's are hardened and don't drill out.

We ended up towing the now powerless coupe down to a guy who used a torch to burn the easy-out out of the stud and succeeded in removing the stud and saved the threads in the block.

It was discovered that the hole in the block was drilled at a slight angle and the original stud had been tipped vertical causing a slight crack.

I assume Ford made the block.

Jim

Posted on: 2020/4/4 11:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Suggestions all good. Little trick ive pick up over the years is to give rusted nuts/bolts/studs a slight clockwise turn before the counter.

Head studs have interference fit. Even if factory fresh their going to come out hard.

https://www.machinedesign.com/fastening-joining/article/21812743/studs

Pretty sure reasonings are
-Nuts would break loose first
-Factory could drive the Studs to the height they required
-Some studs go into water champers and the interference would help seal.

WASH YOUR HANDS

Posted on: 2020/4/5 11:06
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved