Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
42 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 42

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Manually Lift Low Rear
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hello Don

I just saw the thread you contributed to on this topic some years ago on the AACA website. This describes the factory manual raise/lower kit.

My switch does not look the same as that, but does operate the same way. It also operates independently of the Torsion Level on/off switch. I wonder whether it was added when the car was built right hand drive. Clearly done by someone who understood how the Torsion Level control system works.

Sounds like there's another (factory) version of this in your car, with a momentary raise/lower switch wired independently of the on/off switch circuit.

An alternative of course is to run to the rear of the car, do your Mr Atlas impersonation and heave it up, then run back to the cabin before it has time to lower again and turn the Torsion Level on/off switch off. Makes me tired just thinking about it.

Sounds like you potentially have a better solution with your switch.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/3/11 21:19
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No, I don't have a manual switch in mine and not sure I need it. I do have a large red jeweled light on the far left next to the parking brake that I had always thought was added later but based on what Howard said maybe it belongs there!

Posted on: 2020/3/11 21:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is kind of interesting to see how many versions or types of manual switches have been added over the years. Some installed correctly with limit switches in the circuit per the factory diagram so there can be no damage and others just any which way with hope and faith the only prevention keeping the transverse bars from wrapping around the compensator body.

The under dash emergency brake light warning lights I can remember have had a stamped bracket painted black and a little over 1" wide and maybe 1 1/2 tall with smooth and sort of rounded bent over edges maybe 1/8 wide. The metal edges were sort of straight back and not folded so far they were flat to the rear of the bracket.

For the sake of discussion here is the factory TL manual switch option.

Attach file:

jpg  (250.83 KB)
209_5e69a11045b44.jpg 1210X1576 px

Posted on: 2020/3/11 21:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I installed this switch on Best Other and it always baffles spectators at the cruise

Posted on: 2020/3/12 0:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved